BS claims from major makes and suppliers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Look at an image of the tyre and you might see how or why the claim is being made. I'd say the tread may offer some additional protection.

View attachment 701968

so looking at that tread, flinty bits are arguably less likely to get stuck in them than a traditional nobbly tread and work through the carcass to cause punctures, so indeed Decathlon do have a point.

So not entirely sure the OP does ^_^

mustang1

Legendary Member
I know when a car tyre's tread is reduced (due to wear), it's more likely to get punctures. I figure Decathlon saying the tread on the tyre is so thick that it's less likely to get punctures (totally believable).

I don't see any wild claims here really.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Marathon Plus ads used a drawing pin as an example of how it was "unplattbar" but in that case the tread plus the blue foam layer really is thicker than the pin is long.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Look at an image of the tyre and you might see how or why the claim is being made. I'd say the tread may offer some additional protection.

View attachment 701968

I have a pair of these badboys on the Routier; they're better than slicks for non-hardcore off-road use and I think have given me maybe one or two flats in 1k+ miles of mixed, mostly road riding.

The raised tread has worn fairly considerably on the rear, the front still looks good. Can't complain for the £7.99 each end I paid for them a few years ago :smile:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
But it does say it 'resists'punctures and shows a little tack. Come on Decathlon, credit your customers with a little intelligence, if it doesn't have proper puncture protection say so or don't mention it, don't expect them to believe this BS.
No it doesn't. The wording is "Reduces the risk of punctues" - presumably by being a knobbly tyre (although you haven't linked to the actual product) with the thick rubber knobbles making the thinner casing slightly higher away from the actual road/gravel surface.

Marathon Plus ads used a drawing pin as an example of how it was "unplattbar" but in that case the tread plus the blue foam layer really is thicker than the pin is long.

"Unplattbar" can be translated "puncture proof". Unfortunately I can attest they are not idiot-proof.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Over the years I have found my knobbly MTB type tyres to be fairly resistant to punctures from riding over the typical Manchester urban broken glass. My slick and semi slick tyres have not proven to be similarly robust! I can only surmise that the knob which increase the distance between tyre carcass and the road surface reduces the risk of punctures? IME.

Reactions: C R

Sharky

Guru
Copied from a Giant web page

"When it comes to aero gains, the frame itself is part of the story, but not the whole story. The new proprietary Contact SLR Aero handlebar and stem also reduce drag, as do the new CADEX 50 wheels and CADEX Aero tires. When comparing the complete new Propel Advanced SL bike to the previous generation, the new model improves aerodynamic drag by 6.21 watts. This equates to a savings of 27 seconds over 40km at 40kph."

Don't think the author of this article understands physics. Regardless of the bike, if you ride 40km at 40kph, it will take one hour on any bike.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No it doesn't. The wording is "Reduces the risk of punctues" - presumably by being a knobbly tyre (although you haven't linked to the actual product) with the thick rubber knobbles making the thinner casing slightly higher away from the actual road/gravel surface.
Okay so you're in the realm of hair splitting here. My original point is that this is BS still stands. If you wish to believe Decathlon's claim then that's up to you.

Alex321

Veteran
Okay so you're in the realm of hair splitting here. My original point is that this is BS still stands. If you wish to believe Decathlon's claim then that's up to you.

I don't think anybody else imn the thread really agrees with you that it is BS.

You may call it hair splitting, but it really does change the meaning quite significantly.

Top Bottom