BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Out for another test ride today, I didn’t have a chance to use the front derailleur last week because I managed to clamp the cable to the bottle cage brackets.

I’m pleased to report that everything is working as it should and I’m having a coffee and toasted tea cake to celebrate in the new M&S .
C14FFA37-6404-4929-A791-2966A5C709C8.jpeg

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I finally finished a blog about the Tour de France, much of it you've already read about but more photos and detail of the work.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
excellent write up and photos, I know I followed the thread on cyclechat but enjoyed reading it all together, very well done,you must be pleased with the fruits of your labour

It’s a nice bike, I rode it again today, it’s fun to ride but a little small for me.

Another neighbour told me today about a frame he’s got at his mum’s, a Dawes, he’s going to let me have it. Watch this space for another project.

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's a truly fantastic job you've done there! Lovely looking bike.

Before you write it off as too small, have you tried flipping the saddle clamp to effectively lengthen the top tube?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That's a truly fantastic job you've done there! Lovely looking bike.

Before you write it off as too small, have you tried flipping the saddle clamp to effectively lengthen the top tube?

What they mean is turning the saddle clamp to how you had it before

Right then, I've had a fettle, the saddle clamp is now the correct way round and I've moved the seat as far back along the rails as they'll go. Had a little ride around the village and it feels a bit better, I'll have a proper ride later to see how it goes. It looks like its pointing up more than it is but its fine, probably the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on.

saddle closeup (2).JPG

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m out on a test ride atm, on the way to Abingdon, the locking nut on the headset popped off! I was four miles from home and the brake cable as pulling the guide and flopping about as I was going down the hill. Phhhhht!

Luckily I was 2 minutes away from Oxford Bike Works and the nice man there sorted me out, got me out of trouble. He’s got some lovely touring bikes there.

Once Abingdon I took the bike to the lbs to get them to check the headset, I’m not entirely confident that I’ve done it right. Having a cupper in the cafe whist I’m waiting.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I like a bit of an upward slope on my Brooks B17 saddle, yours looks about right to me. Swapping the clamp around should have gained you about the difference between a M and L frame size, so it may fit you yet!

If you love the bike and want to keep it despite it still being on the small side, you could try lowering the handlebars a bit too. Depends how racy a posture you prefer, but I've done this on slightly-too-small bikes before and it's improved the fit so may be worth a try.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I’m out on a test ride atm, on the way to Abingdon, the locking nut on the headset popped off! I was four miles from home and the brake cable as pulling the guide and flopping about as I was going down the hill. Phhhhht!

Luckily I was 2 minutes away from Oxford Bike Works and the nice man there sorted me out, got me out of trouble. He’s got some lovely touring bikes there.

Once Abingdon I took the bike to the lbs to get them to check the headset, I’m not entirely confident that I’ve done it right. Having a cupper in the cafe whist I’m waiting.

Enjoy the cafe stop and fingers crossed you will be on your away again soon

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Right then back home; and the ride home was a big improvement on the ride out.

Pedal Power bikes In Abingdon sorted out the headset for me...I'd put too many ball bearings in the crown race so it wasn't all sitting straight, £12.99 it cost, I thought that pretty good value, proper old fashioned bike shop. I will be going back there.

The steering all works smoothly now and I had a nice ride back 20 mile round trip, I still think the bike is a bit small though, it's better now I've moved the saddle but I can't get my legs straight on the down stroke when pedalling, tough for the amount I'm going to use it I might just live with it. The new wheels are just FAB, what a difference they make, so smooth.

Thanks @biggs682 & @ChrisEyles for the tips.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you cant get the saddle high enough, a longer seatpost will sort that. You must have gained a good inch of reach by turning the clamp round. It looks like a bog standard 1" diameter post, so will be found in pretty much any hi-tensile road frame. Keep an eye out for a scrap Apollo in a skip, as they often have long seatposts for some reason.

Top Bottom