BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I quite fancy the idea of restoring an English three speed roadster, not got around to doing anything about the idea yet but I fancy it

Do you mean the sort of Hercules type bike that @biggs682 is playing with atm? Having read that thread I’ve got a hankering for something like that too.

I have wanted an original 3 speed roadster for ages so when the Hercules was spotted it was a no brainer , i have been offered a smaller tidy Vindec but can't justify another one

Do you mean the sort of Hercules type bike that @biggs682 is playing with atm? Having read that thread I’ve got a hankering for something like that too.

that's the type of thing I mean yeah

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I went on a proper test ride today, about 6 miles to the town and back.

It feels nice and tight like a new bike, though I’ve haven’t ridden a steel road bike for about 45 years, it was strange changing gear with the shifter.
65F27A42-EED2-45A0-AEC8-4FC357AFC1BC.jpeg
1AA99724-C54E-4340-A7A4-AE425B5ED193.jpeg
A1098AE2-72E7-4564-BF3E-6DCDACB27F57.jpeg

Everything works as it should, except for the front derailleur. I am such a muppet sometimes, when I fitted the bottle cage brackets I clamped the cable to the frame. Berk! Anyway all fixed now.

The bike rides really nicely, although it feels a bit cramped, I raised the saddle a bit and that helped. I’ll have to consider whether to keep it or not.

9D364F74-24C8-43BA-A351-A6B01B157121.jpeg

Parked next to an oldish Raleigh Mixte in the shopping centre.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I wonder how many hours the photographer spent in getting all the tyre valves perfectly centred on the ground and the cranks at the same angle for each bike?

I used to rent an office at a photograher's studio so I know how meticulous they can be!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@CarlP what I want to know is , what was you looking for when you found them or did you set out looking for them

I knew my bike was from a catalogue, I didn’t know which. I was idly browsing eBay for 1976 catalogues, happened upon the seller, and by complete chance found that on one of his listings.

Found this too.

25167E15-1429-4E4E-87DD-3B1653ECC0A7.jpeg

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was trying to compare my 78 version with a 70's Carlton Kermesse and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference from what I can make out from a blurry catalogue.

Like this?

2B5581B5-6E9A-42E6-A417-719AE50FC476.jpeg
It does look similar, but isn’t the frame made of lighter steel? The gears and brakes look more upmarket to me, I could be wrong. The paint job certainly looks classy.

Like this?

View attachment 437162 It does look similar, but isn’t the frame made of lighter steel? The gears and brakes look more upmarket to me, I could be wrong. The paint job certainly looks classy.
Similar. I was thinking more of the Bermuda blue one which I and it seems like everyone else drooled over.
I'm not sure what material our frames are made from. High tensile steel or Truwell? I do not know. Weight wise there doesn't seem to be much difference between any of my steel frames, possibly 1 lb, and when they are fitted with a nice pair of alloy wheels there doesn't seem to be much difference when ridden. In fact the Raleigh Granada that I like and am riding at the moment is Reynolds 531butted tubing and is 1lb heavier even though it has the smallest frame.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I knew my bike was from a catalogue, I didn’t know which. I was idly browsing eBay for 1976 catalogues, happened upon the seller, and by complete chance found that on one of his listings.

Found this too.

View attachment 437102
I like Baleno as a name. It's meant to translate 'flash' or '''lightning' but can also mean 'whale'. I think it would be whale if I was on it.

Top Bottom