BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WN8 is the frame number so October 1978 is the date of manufacture.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm 'aving a right 'mare with the rear derailleur, chain's on, right length, front mech working fine ( which is a blumen miracle for me) but suminks up with the way I've got this set up. Pull the lever and the chain moves, let go of the lever chain goes back to the small ring. I WILL GET THIS SORTED. Off to the tube of you. Laters.

I am a berk! They're friction shifters! the clue is in the name, I needed to tighten the shifter to stop it returning! D'uh!

It works! Hurrah and Huzzah!

EDIT: I'm having a cuppa to celebrate.

and now you know something that you didn't earlier , that makes you the opposite of a berk, no one knows until they learn

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's finished!
This is what I started with.

BSA2.JPG

This is what I was trying to achieve, (sort of).

IMG_E6927.JPG

This is what I ended up with.
IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I mentioned up thread that there was a back story to this bike, if you're interested read on.

The bike was given to me by my neighbour 2 doors up, you may recall for those who were here a couple of years ago that I found her husband lying on the floor after a massive heart attack, another neighbour and me tried but failed to resuscitate him.

18 months or so later, I happened to be round the house talking to the widow, trying to borrow something when I noticed the bike in the garage, she told me it was her husbands and he had had it from new, to go to work on, and used it for quite a while. Anyway she said she was going to take it down the dump and said I could have it if I wanted it.

Anyone else's bike I probably wouldn't have spent so much time and money on it.

Anyway it was a really interesting project, a new experience for me, ( I did do the Dawes Kingpin, but I cheated a bit 'cos. the BB and the headset were done for me). I made a few mistakes on the way, but I got through them, the one mistake I made which I regret is selling the original wheels, I think I should have kept the hubs, refurbished them and had new rims put on.

I thoroughly enjoyed doing it, and I'm sort of sorry it's finished.

Last edited:
Top Bottom