BSA Tour de France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve bitten the bullet, bought the wheels and tyres.

good commitment

stalagmike

Enormous member
Where did you get your oxalic acid from? eBay? How much did you get? I've been looking at getting some for a while to soak my Holdsworth but unsure how much to buy. I don't want to over do it and have bucket fulls left over.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I bought a kilogram I think, it's under the sink (where everything like that ends up). I'll have a look :smile:
Next to the soda crystals.

And what sort of ratio did you mix it to? From what I've read it seems the stronger the concentration then the quicker the reaction time. And did you wear respirator, gloves etc.?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks @midlife . I'm aware that you dilute it from powder. I was just wondering how much powder! Maybe my worry about 'bucketfulls' being leftover was a bit misleading.

Next to the soda crystals.

And what sort of ratio did you mix it to? From what I've read it seems the stronger the concentration then the quicker the reaction time. And did you wear respirator, gloves etc.?

I bought a kilo of it in tub from eBay. I’ve used 125 grams so far in a 10 Ltd bucket. I was guessing the quantity. I will not know the results until later today. I have left the items to soak for 24 hours.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232324440841

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
You will find that the bike will feel a lot better with alloy wheels.
This is a very interesting project. I bought one as a donor frame to use the components and then felt sorry for it.
Keep up with the good work .
Probably, but I only rode it 1/4 mile, with split tyres, so I won't notice.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just got all the stuff out of the bucket and rinsed it off

The oxalic acid has done quite a good job, but perhaps I should’ve degreased everything first.

The axel on the pedals was very rusty, as was the front mech and the lamp holder. Much better now though. Everything needs a good polish.

6BEF40F8-A96B-413E-B7BD-6AAEDB21BB34.jpeg
0474E56E-A188-4BE9-8A54-2C8F775F294D.jpeg
B4BF04D0-7893-4D5D-9147-34471336A8C4.jpeg
DA58337B-E120-4FA7-9906-C867C7DD07D9.jpeg

Top Bottom