BSA Tour of Britain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
You will have to get a vintage pump to clip into that holder!
Your right. I must have something old useless & crusty I could clean up & attach. I found a woods flexy adaptor on the road the other day, so that's one end located.

Or is there some new retro alloy adaptor I could use to mount a modern pump? Got me thinking now.

I use to put a frame fitting pump under the cross bar years ago. It was too big really & always fell off on club runs, much to the annoyance of others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
Quick update. Started putting the bike together at the weekend.
Crown race location on new forks was a tad oversize & needed fettling to get it to fit. Thread was also just a bit too short. So waiting for die to extend thread. Forks painted as well.
But after some trial & error I got a bottom bracket in, chainset, front & rear derraileurs & all the rear parts.
I will post more pics of the progress shortly. My favourite success so far is the down tube gear cable adjusters.
I bought some to fit the square frame lugs, hoping I could get something to retain them. I striped the original gear levers down & found they fitted on the square location of them perfectly!
Sort've retro with the original lever bracket but modern application.
WP_000820_zpsb0d23f4a.jpg

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
As promised some more photo updates. Below is the rear deraileur attachment, chainset & the complete assembly so far including rear mudguard.
Mudguard stays have been trimmed since. I really do like the SKS mudguards. Very smart.
Looks a bit butt heavy at the moment. Looking forward to getting the front end on this week.
For reference the brake calipers are Tektro long reach versions.
I also had to trim a washer to make a very small spacer on the cassette side of the rear wheel to miss the deraileur hanger.
Bike stand is also clamped on the seat tube to avoid marking the paint. As it's still slightly soft.
SDC12355_zps1dfa2bd5.jpg
SDC12352_zpsd780bcf4.jpg
SDC12365_zps7acf407a.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
Brilliant! Especially impressed the way the modern components look the part.

*edited: Do H Lloyds do the full sticker set for them and do you happen to know if they do TDF ones too? I have a Tour of Britain, but it's never going to look as smart as yours does!

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
Brilliant! Especially impressed the way the modern components look the part.

*edited: Do H Lloyds do the full sticker set for them and do you happen to know if they do TDF ones too? I have a Tour of Britain, but it's never going to look as smart as yours does!

Thanks, update coming soon. I have had to order some extra parts to get it all to fit. No massive problems just time delays.

I see H Lloyds do 'Tour De France' for Raleigh. But worth getting in touch with them as the Tour of Britain wasn't in their catalogue. Excellent service from them as well.

Will post completed photos shortly. It has forks, gears & handlebars now.

Cavalol

Guru
Thanks, look forward to it.

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
Picture update.
Finally got enough together to get some short test rides. Making plenty of minor adjustments.
Went for a longer spin last night around some back lanes. Although the bike is very heavy it still did 17.6mph average which was respectable for that sort of run.
Bike still needs bar tape & some final fettling. But pretty much there.

The long reach calipers on the front were too long in the end. Had to use some Shimano Tiagra in the end. Tektro rear caliper not much use. Could be the length not giving much leverage. But will change blocks first.
WP_000829_zps648e4b15.jpg
WP_000828_zpsadb584e7.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
That looks just superb. I'm not very 'technical' but aren't Tektro brakes a bit, err, rubbish anyhow, and have you tried any 105 or Ultegra brakes for fitment? It's never going to be a lightweight bike I suppose, but you have something pretty unique and very useable by the looks of it.

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
Went for a decent spin at the weekend. Nothing too hilly but scenic. Actually did quite a decent speed (Av. 18.7mph). Not bad for an old heavy thing....on a bike.

Edit: Some of the route was my old route to work when I used this bike as a commuter. A little bit of nostalgia.

I used the Topeak bottle clamp/holder. I had thought of using rivnuts originally. But reviews on their usage for bottles was mixed. The Topeak option was quick & effective.

Put the bar tape on the night before as well.

All in all I'm quite happy with the final result. It's re-used my old frame. A nothing special 1980's 10-speed racer. Given me a road bike for slightly more leisurely use. A good blend of old classic looks & modern drive train.
Also for reference the stem is a Ritchey classic. Nice polished finish with fancy script writing.

But it's turned out a bit better than I originally thought for a winter bike. So might have to put something else together before winter.......^_^
WP_000833_zps45edbb59.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
That looks just superb. I'm not very 'technical' but aren't Tektro brakes a bit, err, rubbish anyhow, and have you tried any 105 or Ultegra brakes for fitment? It's never going to be a lightweight bike I suppose, but you have something pretty unique and very useable by the looks of it.

Thanks. Unfortunately the 105 or Ultergra brakes don't have the reach of the Tektro. The 700c wheel is slightly smaller than the original 27" wheel. The Tektro are for this combination of parts. But the dead feeling from the rear does imply to me the brake pads are just too hard & cheap to provide any grip.

Edit: Did a quick search for reviews & quickly came to the conclusion it would be worth changing pads.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/do-tektro-brakes-suck-261469.html

Last edited:

Goldie

Über Member
That looks superb. Have you any idea how much it does weigh? It'd be interesting to know what impact modern parts have. I had a '70's Tour de France which was well up there between 13 and 14 kg. I'd guess it was a simlar frame.

Top Bottom