BSA West Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thought you might like to see my latest acquisition, a BSA West Coast bought for my brother in law as his Giant is on it's last legs. All there and working apart from the front mudguard.

Looking at the drive train I'd say its hardly been used. Supplied by Georges Halls Cycle Centre in Market Harborough.
Rides very comfortably with the big tyres. No idea of date.

IMG_20180414_071237.jpg

alicat

Legendary Member
Jolly bon.

Any call for mudguards where you live?

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
When it rains it really rains and the roads (tracks in some places) get very messy so mudguards are not a bad idea sometimes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would suggest it is early 21st century, made after Raleigh had shut down it's Nottingham in-house frame-building facility and outsourced the manufacture overseas. May well be a decent bike, but it looks no different to any other generic example of it's type.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might well be right. It was assembled by Raleigh with a far east produced frame.
I've since found out that they rather cleverly used the same frame for several models from seven speed town bikes like this one to mountain bikes with a triple.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I regard bikes like this as purely utilitarian objects that serve a purpose, but no more than that. To me, the oversized tubing is not very aesthetically pleasing, and I much prefer brazed & lugged construction over lugless welded. Having said that, at least it hasn't got some cheap rubbishy suspension, so should prove robust and cheap to run.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're looking for utilitarian this is surely it! Unfortunately some models in the range do have rubbish sus forks, this one hits that sweet spot. In spite of the oversize tubing its surprisingly light.

If anyone is interested it cost about £55.

Top Bottom