BSO Front Derailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
My BSO has a triple front chainring and a Falcon derailer. It is operated by a twist grip, as normal, on the LHS. In order to change gear a number of clicks, around 5, for each gear is required. Is this an indexed system or is it just that the manufacturer has placed click stops on the twist grip?

I ask because I'd very much like to remove the twist grips. If it is not an indexed system I presume I couldn't.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
It is only indexed if you have one click per chain ring. Anything else is to allow for a bit of adjustment either way to allow you to trim the mech away from the chain. Having tried to sort a few BSOs for my kids' friends, those very cheap twist shifts are the work of Satan's Auntie.

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

It is only indexed if you have one click per chain ring. Anything else is to allow for a bit of adjustment either way to allow you to trim the mech away from the chain. Having tried to sort a few BSOs for my kids' friends, those very cheap twist shifts are the work of Satan's Auntie.

Tell me about it, I've had a certain amount of fun getting everything to work tho'. I inherited the bike from my son but at least it's got me riding.

The clicks are in the shifter. Are you wanting to replace it with something that works?

Pretty much, and I hate twist grips.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It should work fine with a trigger shifter, the only gear that is indexed is the centre ring which has to be adjusted to the middle click on the lever the inner and outer are controlled by the limit screws on the mech. (I've swapped a few as I hate gripshift)

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

It should work fine with a trigger shifter, the only gear that is indexed is the centre ring which has to be adjusted to the middle click on the lever the inner and outer are controlled by the limit screws on the mech. (I've swapped a few as I hate gripshift)

Replaced the twist grips with Shimano Atlus ST-EF51. Seems to work a treat. thanks to all for the help.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Replaced the twist grips with Shimano Atlus ST-EF51. Seems to work a treat. thanks to all for the help.
I'll bet the bike even feels faster now, don't ask me why but every time I do some work on any of my bikes they always feel faster/better than before
Even when I just change the handlebar tape. :crazy:

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

I'll bet the bike even feels faster now, don't ask me why but every time I do some work on any of my bikes they always feel faster/better than before
Even when I just change the handlebar tape. :crazy:

Haven't ridden it much yet, just around the garage area. It only took a couple of hours, most of which was spent getting the old grips off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Haven't ridden it much yet, just around the garage area. It only took a couple of hours, most of which was spent getting the old grips off.
Bit late now but for future reference there is an easy way to get grips off.
Insert a long thin screwdriver or metal barbeque skewer between grip and bar, then slide the plastic tube of a WD40 can alongside and squirt some under the grip removing the plastic pipe slowly as you do so (to get the WD40 all the way along) Then remove the metal 'tool' and twist the grip, it should release and slide off easily. Just a matter of washing the grip with plenty of washing up liquid and rinsing it clean and then you can re-install it once it has dried.
As for putting them back on hairspray is the best stuff to use, give the inside of the grip and the handlebar a good spraying and slide the grip on, position it and they'll be stuck in 10 minutes.

Top Bottom