Btwin or Boardman for £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Hi all . You are probably sick of these questions but Ile ask anyway.
Going for my first road bike and will have £500 budget . Looking at the btwin Triban 520 at £479 or the Boardman road sport at £500. Can't decide as I'm new to these bikes usually ride a hybrid. The btwin has sora gears and Boardman has claris .maybe you can help me decide which would you choose and why . Many thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
What wheels does the Btwin have?
Have you test ridden and can't decide?
Sora is the level up but still chunky hoods and a slightly clunky gear change

What wheels does the Btwin have?
The BTWIN has own brand wheels, the BOARDMAN has Mavic CXP.

@Trigger369 - My preference, (without a test ride that is), would be the Boardman, but that's based, (maybe unfairly), on poor reports of Decathlon wheels in the past, all be it on the original Triban 3. This was easy enough to fix by re-greasing the bearings, but not something you'd expect to have to do as quickly as people did. To be fair this may well be wholly resolved, and may not have affected any other Decathlon wheels, but it sticks in my mind never the less.

If you can hang on a wee bit you might get some good run out deals on other bikes as 2018 models will be introduced in the not too distant future.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Just got back from the shop with the cycling weekly mag . They have done a review of them both and the btwin got 9/10 and the Boardman 10/10 .

Attachments

• 20170709_193248.jpg
    20170709_193248.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 20170709_193215.jpg
    20170709_193215.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
After reading this review they favour the Boardman but I'm hinting more to the btwin because of the sora group set . Is there really much didference between the Claris and sora?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ride them. The paper spec difference is minor in terms of indicating potential performance, so its going to come down to which feels comfiest under your behind and which gives the liveliest response to your pedal input. No spec list can determine that.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Cheers for all ur replys must get out and have a look at them them

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Triban has a triple up front as well as mounts for racks back and front so you could tour on it. The Boardman has smoothed frame welds which look neater as does the internally routed rear brake cable. Don't know if any of this is important to you.
Which one floats your boat?

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
The Triban has a triple up front as well as mounts for racks back and front so you could tour on it. The Boardman has smoothed frame welds which look neater as does the internally routed rear brake cable. Don't know if any of this is important to you.

The one that floats my

I do like the Boardman for its colour. Having neater welds. Internal cables .

I like the btwin for the triple chain ring up front . And the sora gears .

Tho after reading the reviews in cycling weekly they prefer the Boardman overall and all your thoughts I'm hinting more fore the Boardman now .

Top Bottom