B'twin Triban 500 v Defy 3 2014 v Defy 5 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Defy 2013 and 2014 differ in the paint job... that's it. The 2015 bikes have a new frame design.

2013 is a bargain at that price and the wheels are much better than the BTwins. My stock Defy wheels are still running true and smooth after 3000 miles.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Appreciate the opinions, by sounds of it I'll have to try and fit in a defy test ride too. I have a giant store near me so I can probably test out a defy 3 2015 model... Maybe a 2014 if they have one, is there much between them ?
I think the 2015 is £100 cheaper than the 14 but the 14 will be on discount as they will want rid of it . The 2015 will have something cheaper on it like wheels or groupset to meet the price point . I'm almost tempted myself :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the 2015 is £100 cheaper than the 14 but the 14 will be on discount as they will want rid of it . The 2015 will have something cheaper on it like wheels or groupset to meet the price point . I'm almost tempted myself :smile:
£675 for a defy 1 seems the right deal to go for

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't buy by price and spec. Neither are by any means a guarantee of a better riding machine. Giant in particular are old hands at making superb riding bikes at a keen price, and the Defy (and Trance in MTBdom) are probably the Worlds best examples of bikes punching well above their weight.

Go ride them all. Making a decision based upon brochures will not give you the optimum buy.

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
Ok so i rode both the Defy 3 which was the 2014 and also the Defy 5 2015 model, didnt get to ride them far as the weather was poor. I loved riding them both but obviously didnt get to test them that much. My final question is are the Carbon forks and sora groupset worth £100? what are the Claris like which is what the Defy 5 has?

iggibizzle

Claris is perfectly acceptable. Although I ride an old steel with 7 speeds daily so anything modern feels amazing :laugh: I've no problems with it at all. I was originally gonna get a defy 5 but got last years 4 for cheaper than the new 5. Didn't like the styling of the new models.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Carbon forks for a defy retailed at £170 last time I looked . I have the defy 5 without carbon forks and also bikes with carbon forks . If I could pick up some carbon forks cheap for the defy I would probably put them on but its no big deal . From memory the defy went up by £100 per model when I bought mine and the 4 wasn't really an upgrade . The 3 was £200 more and I wasn't willing to spend that at the time . I think only the 1 had carbon forks in 2013 but I could be wrong there .

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok so i rode both the Defy 3 which was the 2014 and also the Defy 5 2015 model, didnt get to ride them far as the weather was poor. I loved riding them both but obviously didnt get to test them that much. My final question is are the Carbon forks and sora groupset worth £100? what are the Claris like which is what the Defy 5 has?
Carbon fork, in my view, absolutely. Couple of extra gears and smoother changes probably not

Cyclist33

Yes.

iggibizzle

A friend of mine sold his defy 5 because he said claris was rubbish as it kept messing up on a couple of coast to coasts. Turned out it needed a good adjusting due to stretched cables. He bought a cube peleton pro but overall he says not much in it riding wise between them.

Top Bottom