Bucket list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Next year I turn the half century in age and want to do LeJog. I did ManCo ( Manchester - Cornwall ) a few years back and my wife says it was the worst four days of her life waiting for me to contact her each day's riding. This is where the problem arises, she does not want me to do a solo, un-aided LeJog :sad: I do not worry about the miles, being alone and unaided but I wonder if any of you who have done the ride but needed to convince loved ones it is a good idea. How did you get the golden ticket pass out ???

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yo skud yer old bast! Good to see ya how you doin?

Endomondo does that!
That requires extended battery life and for what we were doing it was more useful to use spot which only needed 3 AAA batteries every 2-3 months and had emergency options with it. If a smartphone battery can last that long for all day riding and leave enough battery life to call for help at the end of a long day, plus have the ability to recharge during the night, fine. But on tour, we don't work that way and camp at night hence spot was more useful. It depends on how @skudupnorth wants to work. Must another option to consider that was all

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cheers for the info but I am a low tech person when it comes to cycling,the thought of carrying a phone is pushing my limits ! I've got a year to pester :whistle:

videoman

Guru
I'll be away walking the Pennine Way in June for nearly three weeks and the wife is usually trying to get rid of me for the longest possible time!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Skud! :hello:

I don't get those GPS tracker thingies. Well, I can see what they are supposed to do, but to me they are covering up a problem rather than fixing it! The problem is a worried partner. Let's say that you cycle into an area with no phone signal ... Result, probably one VERY worried partner!

Surely, the thing to do is to address the question of what is causing the worry? :whistle:

PS Skud - watch out for a new thread in a week or so about my forum ride to Glasson Dock at the end of March. I hope you can join us for that!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just man up and do it you big wimp!

I have got to the point where Lady Skol just shrugs and accepts I'll do it anyway. Like tonight, I just spoke to her on the phone (She's in Germany) and when I told her I had cycled up the Snake when it was closed with snow she didn't even react. I think it's conditioning that does it, you just keep going out doing stupid far fetched things but coming back in one piece and eventually they accept maybe you do know what you are doing and can look after yourself.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
That requires extended battery life and for what we were doing it was more useful to use spot which only needed 3 AAA batteries every 2-3 months and had emergency options with it. If a smartphone battery can last that long for all day riding and leave enough battery life to call for help at the end of a long day, plus have the ability to recharge during the night, fine. But on tour, we don't work that way and camp at night hence spot was more useful. It depends on how @skudupnorth wants to work. Must another option to consider that was all
1 samsung galaxy s4+ 1 enker 5400MAh extended battery=problem solved.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I was recently in a similar position.
I did a 10 day solo tour (!) in France (!!) on a Brompton (!!!) while SWMBO was in NZ (!!!!)
I am less than fluent in French.
I rang (briefly) in the morning, texted a few times during the day, and rang (equally briefly) in the evening.
She therefore went to bed knowing that I was OK, and woke up to a flurry of texts detailing my day and that I'd arrived safely at some unremarkable small French town.
Doing a similar thing while in the same time zone should be a piece of piss by comparison.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hi Skud! :hello:

I don't get those GPS tracker thingies. Well, I can see what they are supposed to do, but to me they are covering up a problem rather than fixing it! The problem is a worried partner. Let's say that you cycle into an area with no phone signal ... Result, probably one VERY worried partner!

Surely, the thing to do is to address the question of what is causing the worry? :whistle:

PS Skud - watch out for a new thread in a week or so about my forum ride to Glasson Dock at the end of March. I hope you can join us for that!
Hey Colin,hope you are well and look forward to another of your rides. If I do this ride I am not doing the electronic thingy :-) I think she is just worried at the thought of me getting squished on the bike or taken by aliens :wacko:....maybe I should start a " Todays ride was safe and fantastic" every time I go out :whistle:

Top Bottom