Bucket list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just man up and do it you big wimp!

I have got to the point where Lady Skol just shrugs and accepts I'll do it anyway. Like tonight, I just spoke to her on the phone (She's in Germany) and when I told her I had cycled up the Snake when it was closed with snow she didn't even react. I think it's conditioning that does it, you just keep going out doing stupid far fetched things but coming back in one piece and eventually they accept maybe you do know what you are doing and can look after yourself.
I like your style Skolly !

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just do an Oates
"I'm just going outside and may be some time"
You may be in the freezer for some time though
That might be a plan...load bike in garage ( She never ventures in my den) and bugger off for two weeks :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That might be a plan...load bike in garage ( She never ventures in my den) and bugger off for two weeks :laugh:
She might not go in the den, but she would probably notice that you were gone at some point in the second week!

As for me - not too bad ta. Just ticking over until the weather improves, and then I will get stuck in on the bike. Hopefully in time to get fit for the Glasson Dock ride, although I will probably be hanging around at the back anyway.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Next year I turn the half century in age and want to do LeJog. I did ManCo ( Manchester - Cornwall ) a few years back and my wife says it was the worst four days of her life waiting for me to contact her each day's riding. This is where the problem arises, she does not want me to do a solo, un-aided LeJog :sad: I do not worry about the miles, being alone and unaided but I wonder if any of you who have done the ride but needed to convince loved ones it is a good idea. How did you get the golden ticket pass out ???
Get a tandem...

mattw

Über Member
If you have an iPhone then 'find my phone' app allows you to be tracked without too much drain on the battery. This and regular texts and calls keeps the worriers happy. I also cut out and traced the route onto a road atlas and stuck it on the wall ( up the stairs as it was about 15ft long !!) so they could see where I was whenever I checked in !

A lot will also depend on the op's chosen route up north as well. Regular texts are not possible in some areas out of JoG. I was up there a year last September when we cycle along the north coast and down the west coast and there are long area with no mobile reception on any network.

PS - to the o0, don't tell her that bit or let on! There is enough local traffic, tourists and other cyclists/LEJoGers that if anything did happen people would stop and help out and you wouldn't be waiting for help for more than 5-10 mins max.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I also cut out and traced the route onto a road atlas and stuck it on the wall ( up the stairs as it was about 15ft long !!) so they could see where I was whenever I checked in !
Would love to do this and then 'report' locations that were really random and miles off the planned route...
Yeah, been paddling on the beach at Skegness...... I'm in a bar in Limerick..... Just come out of McDonalds in Woking (Actually, they would never believe that last one :laugh:)

Hello mate, long time no see, it is on my bucket list too but the other way round. I don't have the same problem that most others have, dr_pink would be there with me, in fact I have a feeling that if I brought the subject up she would suggest doing it in 3 days as a training exercise.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Make yourself unpopular enough with your wife that she'd be glad to see the back of you for a fortnight.

Or

Just do it on the premise that forgiveness is easier to give than permission.

I've been granted a three month absence ticket for this summer....

If you have an iPhone then 'find my phone' app allows you to be tracked without too much drain on the battery. This and regular texts and calls keeps the worriers happy. I also cut out and traced the route onto a road atlas and stuck it on the wall ( up the stairs as it was about 15ft long !!) so they could see where I was whenever I checked in !

... including the calls of "you've been in the pub too long - get back on the road

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well progress has been made when I got asked what would I like for my 50th Birthday present to which I replied " A new bike......one to do LeJog on" :laugh: At the moment the Spa Cycles steel tourer is getting my attention and I did not get a "No" so things could be looking good :wahhey:

Top Bottom