buckled wheel set... upgrade time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dmj

Hi all, this morning on my commute to work a dizzy MAN pushing a pushchair walked into the road i was turning into without looking, i managed to manouver my bike around the baby luckily, but the bike went to go over and i managed to get my feet out of the pedals and onto the floor and thought i had been lucky enouth to have not damaged anything. i then continued to work, when there noticed as i was wheeling the bike in that there was resistance from the brakes/wheel..... i then lifted the bike to find the rear wheel was buckled and rubbing in the brake pads....

i took the wheel to a local bike shop (cycle surgery) and within about 2 hours they called me to say the wheel will need to be fully rebuilt at a minimum cost of 45 pounds!
the wheel is the stock wheel that came with the bike (axis classic) and now wonder if its worth putting the 50 pounds towards upgrading the wheelset now rather then fixing and ''wasting'' money fixing it.

for those interested its a specialized allez elite 2013 bike

was looking at the Campagnolo Sciricco wheels that are 164.99 down from 219.99 on evans website.

would this be a good upgrade?
what others would you recommend?
or would you recommend fixing the bent rim i already have?

sorry for the essay!
thanks in advance
dan

400bhp

Guru
In what way "rebuilt"?

Tightening a few spokes? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
dmj

dmj

they said to tighten a few spoke it was going to be about 15 pounds but then called me to say the full rebuild must take place! as in take all the spokes out of the rim, straighten the outer rim and then rebuild it?

what you think?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What a load of pony, I would take the wheel to some that knows what the are doing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It will be a full rebuild meaning a new rim and it might take them some time to get the right rim. We had this with the el cheapo wheels on Gti Junior's Triban 3 whe he crashed it; I tried to straighten the wheel but the bend in the rim was too "local" for spoke tweaking to get it out. Even applying local pressure to the rim to try to straighten it didn't work.

Sell the wheels as damaged and upgrade, it's always worth upgrading to better wheels.

Alternatively buy a rim, tape it alongside the old and transfer the spokes over one by one as a way of saving money and learning a new skill.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Out of two badly buckled wheels I have had repaired both went out of true quite quickly and one kept popping spokes.

I would maybe look at replacing the rear wheel only.

I replaced a £200-250 rear wheel with a £100 rear recently as a stop gap, If I am honest I think the only difference I can feel is uphill and out the saddle, but I reckon that is still placebo..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a new upgraded set ! :biggrin:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
they said to tighten a few spoke it was going to be about 15 pounds but then called me to say the full rebuild must take place! as in take all the spokes out of the rim, straighten the outer rim and then rebuild it?

what you think?

I'm glad you, baby, etc are al-right. I had a similar incident once and I ended up with a few bruises.

I would say that maybe is the best time to upgrade the set but if you still want to keep the wheel then follow the link in my signature and I might be able to help you.

e-rider

crappy member
Find a better bike shop! Cycle surgery are a big chain, maybe one of them has just done a wheel building course and is itching to get a rebuild in. If the wheel was ok to ride on with a bit of brake rub then I can't see why it couldn't be straightened especially as it is a new bike.
As for the wheel upgrade Campag wheels on a Shimano equipped bike?
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...ad-wheels/shimano-rs30-wheels-white-pair.html

Ribble Cycles are selling Shimano RS30 wheels for £124 per pair plus free shipping - now that's a bargain if you are on a budget of £125. List price is £250.

yes, there are better and lighter wheels out there but not for £125 per pair. Some people might say "spend more money and get something lighter" which might be a valid point depending on use and potential budget. However, if £125 is your absolute max then I don't think you'd find a better deal

goody

Veteran
That's a good price. I was looking at the rim wear on my commuter and it's not going to be long before I need a new pair of wheels. Have to stick my on my wish list GPS, forks and wheelset for the MTB and wheelset for the commuter. I was hoping the list would get shorter not longer.
They also do the basic R501 from £65 a pair, not bad for a wheelset found on £1000+ bikes.

Top Bottom