buckled wheel set... upgrade time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dmj

dmj

I'd take it somewhere else for a second opinion before committing to anything.

thanks for all your replies guys and gals.

i took the wheel to a local family run business called simpson cycles in kentish town, nw london.
left it with them for a few hours and it was done! 12 pounds and running perfectly straight!
wont be going back to cycle surgery again, obviously trying to rip me off!

i still would like to upgrade my wheels at some point, may just carry on saving and get something a little better, also want a gps etc..... could start to be a expensive new hobby for me! but enjoying it so far!

RRSODL, thanks for the offer and i will defo keep you in mind if i have any trouble in the future.

thanks again all

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
dmj

dmj

Join a bike club. There will be a member who will pull a buckle out in ten minutes for free.

Dont think im ready for a cycle club yet, managed a 22 mile ride last weekend in a hour and a half, thats my longest so far. need to get my fitness up and shift a little puppy fat :mrpig: HAHA! i just cant resist a cake or biscuit!!!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
thanks for all your replies guys and gals.

i took the wheel to a local family run business called simpson cycles in kentish town, nw london.
left it with them for a few hours and it was done! 12 pounds and running perfectly straight!
wont be going back to cycle surgery again, obviously trying to rip me off!

i still would like to upgrade my wheels at some point, may just carry on saving and get something a little better, also want a gps etc..... could start to be a expensive new hobby for me! but enjoying it so far!

RRSODL, thanks for the offer and i will defo keep you in mind if i have any trouble in the future.

thanks again all

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I hope that the sort of practice you encountered is a rare exception because I'd hate it if bike maintenance got the same reputation as car mechanics.

Reactions: dmj

boybiker

Guru
I had a collision with a ped. He walked into the road without looking and I collided with him at approx 25 MPH. The front wheel was buckled but my lbs trued it fro £13 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dmj

dmj

Know what you mean Cyclopathic, im a car mechanic myself and know and have seen in previous occupations what goes on. I normally have a go at fixing everything myself but the last time i tried truing a mountain bike wheel i broke a spoke so thought i better have someone that does it everyday to sort out the roadie for me.

boybiker

Guru
Trouble is you need one of those truing stands to do it properly. I'm guessing there a fair wack for something you won't use much and they take up quiet a bit of room. Handy to keep a spoke key with you for the roadside mind :becool:

Top Bottom