Budget 29" Wheelset to go tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi,

I've a 2013 Voodoo Bizango I've been using as a way to learn about bike maintenance.

So far (and with the help from people on here) I've done - new headset, new bottom bracket, new chain/cassette/chainrings, serviced the forks and added new saddle, grips and pedals. (Yes I could have got a new bike but I wouldn't have all the knowledge!).

And after all that, only now have I purchased a stand - better late as they say.

Anyways I've been getting a few too many punctures recently so changed the rim tape as the original looked like it had gone. But I've considering going tubeless. I talked to the LBS who said they wouldn't recommend I do it on the existing, original rims.

So, I'm wondering if there is a budget "tubeless ready" wheelset I could buy.

As it's such an old bike I don't want to spend too much (more) cash on it, so I'm open to buying second hand if the right thing was available. I've looked on fleabay and there are lots of options both new and used, but I've no idea if they are any good.

The tyres are new and tubeless ready.

My riding is around north Surrey but I don't do jumping or anything too hectic.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Sharky

Guru
How many punctures are you getting?
Do you establish the cause each time? Some you can't avoid and frequency is a matter of luck. Others causes can be addressed, like fitting new rim tape that you have done, if punctures are appearing on the rim side.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

How many punctures are you getting?
Do you establish the cause each time? Some you can't avoid and frequency is a matter of luck. Others causes can be addressed, like fitting new rim tape that you have done, if punctures are appearing on the rim side.
The old rim tape was definitely an issue as I'd two pinch flats and replacing with gorilla tape has stopped that.

But I went out yesterday, got back and later both front and rear were flat.

I checked this morning and had a thorn stuck in each. I must be unlucky.

Top Bottom