Budget retro looking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

The Temple bike looks good with a reasonable spec but seems a bit pricey for what it is. The Tokyo just looks plain odd with it’s 26” wheels and very long wheelbase and again expensive.
Why not buy a real retro bike? Plenty of them around and your budget could get you a fully restored example. I know @biggs682 on here has several examples available. What size is she?

I agree that between the two I'd go for the Temple, I think it's a better bike. Not the best value as you say.

Do you have any suggestions of real retro? I've been looking through ebay but it's a bit of of minefield as we know.

She's around 160cm (5'3) tall so I reckon around 49cm for frame size.

She doesn’t want secondhand
That said, I got lucky in lockdown and got a virtually immaculate 2015 Eq disc for under £600

Yeah, I think she'd go secondhand if we found something suitable in good condition. Most of the "retro" stuff on ebay will be rusty gas pipe from the 80s.

Great offer here on a fine classic:
https://www.merlincycles.com/gios-vintage-tiagra-road-bike-190924.html
…maybe make her a gift of the extra £69.00.

that is a fine looking bike

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Ease of maintenance was mentioned, for me that means hub gears, and if budget allows, belt drive. I'm a fan of SA 3-speeds myself, but more hills=more gears I guess. V-brakes as a minimum, and disks for hilly stuff. Seen some of them Tokyo bikes over here - look very well put together. Anyways, happy hunting :okay:

Agree on the hub gears. We're based in London so not a great deal of hills but I think it's always good to have the option of gears should she want to take the bike elsewhere.

yo vanilla

Would she consider purchasing a second hand bike from a bike shop? Then you can get the best of both worlds, a higher-spec bike for the money, and (hopefully) gone-through by the shop to ensure it is good as new condition.

12boy

Guru
I don't know if you have tariffs on stuff bought in the US but were I to buy a new bike I would seriously consider a Wabi cycles Urban Elite single speed with a Reynolds 725 frame weighing 20 lbs and with the capacity to run bigger tires for gravel paths and crap city streets. It wouldn't be hard to mount a IGH 3 speed wheel either. I'm afraid to check out their shop in Denver Co next time I'm there for fear I would buy yet another bike.

Chris S

Legendary Member
For reference, she found these 2 that she likes:
Tokyobike - CS26 - https://www.tokyobike.co.uk/tokyobike-cs26.html
Temple Cycles - Classic Lightweight - https://www.templecycles.co.uk/products/classic-lightweight
There's a Tokyo Bike for sale in London with £200 worth of extras for £620. You won't have to pre-order it either.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/tokyo-bike-classic-sport-cs26-m-size-57-moss-green-/1385070688

I've just noticed that the bottom gear is about 43 inches. That's the same as my Sturmey Archer 3-speed with a 21T sprocket.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a Tokyo Bike for sale in London with £200 worth of extras for £620. You won't have to pre-order it either.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/tokyo-bike-classic-sport-cs26-m-size-57-moss-green-/1385070688

I've just noticed that the bottom gear is about 43 inches. That's the same as my Sturmey Archer 3-speed with a 21T sprocket.
And it’s a size 57, the purchaser is 5’3. She’ll need a stepladder to mount and go go gadget arms to ride :whistle:

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Would she consider purchasing a second hand bike from a bike shop? Then you can get the best of both worlds, a higher-spec bike for the money, and (hopefully) gone-through by the shop to ensure it is good as new condition.

Yeah, she would. I can't find many shops selling second hand bikes is London. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

I don't know if you have tariffs on stuff bought in the US but were I to buy a new bike I would seriously consider a Wabi cycles Urban Elite single speed with a Reynolds 725 frame weighing 20 lbs and with the capacity to run bigger tires for gravel paths and crap city streets. It wouldn't be hard to mount a IGH 3 speed wheel either. I'm afraid to check out their shop in Denver Co next time I'm there for fear I would buy yet another bike.

Those look cool and just the sort of thing she's after. They seem to ship worldwide but I'd be a bit nervous buying a bike from the US. Quite likely to get hit by customs charges :sad:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Two observations relative to perception and price:

- New steel is trendy, niche and hence expensive.
- Old steel is less trendy, old hat and often dirt cheap.

I hear what you're saying about used, but if she can get over this and is prepared to compromise on component modernity (such as downtube shifters or 3-speed geared hubs) she could get something old, characterful and really capable for under a couple of hundred quid.

If going new tbh I don't think the budget is going to stretch to a whole lot in steel.

The third option would be something used but relatively recent; as others have said Genesis make some nice steel bikes; my choice being the Croix De Fer. Prices of old examples of this bike are somewhat all over the place currently and small ones seem to take more of a price hit. Obviously not sure of her size but this caught my eye recently - reckon it'll go for ballpark £400.

Personally given the inflated, supply-restricted new market (and expectation that the used market will be awash with cheap bikes in coming months) I'd struggle to justify a new purchase at the moment tbh.

vickster

Legendary Member
Two observations relative to perception and price:

- New steel is trendy, niche and hence expensive.
- Old steel is less trendy, old hat and often dirt cheap.

I hear what you're saying about used, but if she can get over this and is prepared to compromise on component modernity (such as downtube shifters or 3-speed geared hubs) she could get something old, characterful and really capable for under a couple of hundred quid.

If going new tbh I don't think the budget is going to stretch to a whole lot in steel.

The third option would be something used but relatively recent; as others have said Genesis make some nice steel bikes; my choice being the Croix De Fer. Prices of old examples of this bike are somewhat all over the place currently and small ones seem to take more of a price hit. Obviously not sure of her size but this caught my eye recently - reckon it'll go for ballpark £400.

Personally given the inflated, supply-restricted new market (and expectation that the used market will be awash with cheap bikes in coming months) I'd struggle to justify a new purchase at the moment tbh.
She’s 5’3...a Croix will be too big as I think the smallest historically was an XS. Even at 5’10 long legs, I’d need a S!

Top Bottom