Budget retro looking bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

And it’s a size 57, the purchaser is 5’3. She’ll need a stepladder to mount and go go gadget arms to ride :whistle:

Yep, not easy finding a small frame secondhand.

She tried the Tokyo in Small and Extra-Small and either would be fine but I think the Small would be better. Medium is way too big.

OP
OP
le_al_khemista

le_al_khemista

Two observations relative to perception and price:

- New steel is trendy, niche and hence expensive.
- Old steel is less trendy, old hat and often dirt cheap.

I hear what you're saying about used, but if she can get over this and is prepared to compromise on component modernity (such as downtube shifters or 3-speed geared hubs) she could get something old, characterful and really capable for under a couple of hundred quid.

If going new tbh I don't think the budget is going to stretch to a whole lot in steel.

The third option would be something used but relatively recent; as others have said Genesis make some nice steel bikes; my choice being the Croix De Fer. Prices of old examples of this bike are somewhat all over the place currently and small ones seem to take more of a price hit. Obviously not sure of her size but this caught my eye recently - reckon it'll go for ballpark £400.

Personally given the inflated, supply-restricted new market (and expectation that the used market will be awash with cheap bikes in coming months) I'd struggle to justify a new purchase at the moment tbh.

As vickster said the Croix De Fer would be big for her. On frames with a more traditional geometry she'd need a 49cm, small or x-small.

Totally agree regarding the timing, especially seeing there will be a waiting list on most new bikes atm. Her bike was stolen a few weeks ago hence trying to find something now but it might be a good idea to forget about it for the time being and see what's available in the new year.

vickster

Legendary Member
As vickster said the Croix De Fer would be big for her. On frames with a more traditional geometry she'd need a 49cm, small or x-small.

Totally agree regarding the timing, especially seeing there will be a waiting list on most new bikes atm. Her bike was stolen a few weeks ago hence trying to find something now but it might be a good idea to forget about it for the time being and see what's available in the new year.
there are always a few small ladies alu road bikes in and around London on eBay or Gumtree if she can compromise on steel
eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-S...333223?hash=item1cf37ff3a7:g:yWkAAOSwhnBfTBf2
or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speciali...362905?hash=item1cf38fa9d9:g:5c8AAOSw74BfZ2pk

or retro https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-...897305?hash=item2f4a6998d9:g:7qkAAOSw5xZfSnbI

just spend £50-100 on a service from your LBS for peace of mind if you can’t do yourself

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
She’s 5’3...a Croix will be too big as I think the smallest historically was an XS. Even at 5’10 long legs, I’d need a S!
Interesting - I'm 5'10 and with long legs too (although perhaps not as long as yours!) and ride a medium; although I could see how as legs get longer reaches get shorter and frames need to get smaller to accommodate this.

Cool - sounds like you at least have a good handle on the practicalities of what you need to buy. Sucks that hers got nicked; the cheap / old end of the used market seems to be pretty stagnant currently so if she's itching to get back in the saddle it might be worth just keeping an eye on FB marketplace and similar to see what turns up cheap, then sit on your hands until the market for nicer gear becomes better.

I've really been enjoying doing up my old Raleigh on a budget - if you're similarly inclined you could get a nice little project out of something similar :smile:

yo vanilla

Yeah, she would. I can't find many shops selling second hand bikes is London. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I am in the USA, in my area nearly all the shops have a good used inventory which is why I thought of it. Another idea for a second hand bikes is to find something and then take it to a shop to have it gone over. But I suspect you can probably find something brand new for her anyhow.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting - I'm 5'10 and with long legs too (although perhaps not as long as yours!) and ride a medium; although I could see how as legs get longer reaches get shorter and frames need to get smaller to accommodate this.

I'm maybe 5'9.5... 34" inside leg, as you say relatively shorter reach, inflexible back, lots of joint stiffness...I ride a 54cm top tube Eqs with 100mm flipped stem

Hmmm....sizing is odd, they say the small has a 544mm TT but that someone around 1m77 would fit a medium with a 561mm TT...56s always feel too big to me
https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-10-vargn21020

I should try to sit on a Croix, not that I will buy one

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm maybe 5'9.5... 34" inside leg, as you say relatively shorter reach, inflexible back, lots of joint stiffness...I ride a 54cm top tube Eqs with 100mm flipped stem

Hmmm....sizing is odd, they say the small has a 544mm TT but that someone around 1m77 would fit a medium with a 561mm TT...56s always feel too big to me
https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-10-vargn21020

I should try to sit on a Croix, not that I will buy one
Sounds like you have it a bit worse than I do - I'm about a 33" leg although not too flexible either. I'd imagine your Equilbrium probably has a slightly more aggressive (lower, longer) geometry than the equivalent CdF, so the same frame size might be a bit more forgiving...?

This all brings me back to the nightmare I had before buying my CdF in trying to decide between a small (and its appealingly short reach) or the medium. In the end toe-overlap killed the small for me and the med's been great; although the reach to the hoods and drops is a fair bit more than I'm used to (thanks to the bars themselves) so I'm tempted to sling a shorter stem on it..

If the OP's missus is petite and isn't too fussy, it's probably worthwhile looking at junior bikes as well. Alas, now's not the time to be picky if one needs a bike for transport in the short term.

I'd say get something useable now even if it's not what she's looking for, and wait to get what she *really* wants until there's decent stocks available in the shops.

If you're competent mechanically, your local tip / recycling could also be worth investigating. I picked up a lovely late 90s steel MTB frame and forks for 25 notes back in July. It's costing me a fair bit more to get it to where I want it to be, but a self-build from a bare frame could also be an option as you can tailor the bike to your needs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shame it’s down here but I’ve got a bike that should be just about perfect for her. Too small for me and far too pretty for a guy to ride. Aluminium frame Alan made in Italy forty years ago.

Top Bottom