Budget wheel upgrade or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
I'm thinking about replacing my rather old, although perfectly working Ultegra 600 7 spd hubs with Mavic open 4cd rims (32 hole) for either Shimano WH-R500 or Mavic Aksiums. Would these be an improvement over my old wheels or should I just stick with what I've got?

Between the Shimano and Mavic which is the better wheel?

jimboalee

Go on Ribble's website and check the weight.

02GF74

Über Member
open 4cd rims!??!?!? that takes me back.

either replace by humongous wheels or else use your current one until worn/broke.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
4cd rims take me there and back, and there and back, and there and back....I'm all for upgrading wheels, my 4cds were my upgrade - and very happy with them I am too.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Thanks guys. I guess theres nothing wrong with the 4CD's just I gotta get some new wheels for another steed and wondered whether to upgrade the 4CD's and use them. I'll just keep my eyes open for a bargain. Cheers.

nuovo_record

i'd stick with what yo got, unless you have a large amount of cash burnin a hole in your pocket.
my project rebuild has an old set of campag gran sport hubs and mavic rims that i retired 5 years ago and kept "just in case". i did upgrade from 6 speed to 8 though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unless the bearings are knackered, or rims worn - don't bother.

I sold a set of Mavic 501's, with freewheel on Open 4CD's for a rather princely sum last year - they were surplus. I retired last year some DA hub'ed Open 4CD's, but I've had some other DA wheels rebuilt into CXP 33's.

Aksiums etc, whilst good, are not an upgrade to what you have.

Top Bottom