Builders boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They're frigging brilliant.

I'm not a builder but I've got a pair for general DIY.

For utility cycling I wear regular clothing and shoes and the feet have been suffering of late. Today, I donned my ankle length builder boots and the feet were toasty. Not only that, the thick, stiff sole is good for powering up the hills.

Considering they can be picked up for £20 or less, they make flat pedal winter cycling shoes look like a rip off.

Over the Ord

Have to agree with you, but this year I discovered walking boots are just as good (as long as it’s the stiff sole style), a bit pricey compared to builders boots.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Years ago used to get Toetectors or some such, brilliant, don’t know if still available. Steel toecaps, subsidised by work although I never worked in the factory.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Have to agree with you, but this year I discovered walking boots are just as good (as long as it’s the stiff sole style), a bit pricey compared to builders boots.

Agree they're good. But, the problem I found is because the soles are a softer compound to allow flexibility over uneven walking surface, they wore away where they were in contact with the pedals whilst the rest of the shoes were as new.

cheshirerob

Nevermind work boots, give it some welly....

1609268887066.jpeg

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Not for cycling @DRM but great for DIY and working on the car. Don’t know if @Moodyman ’s were steel capped, he didn’t say.

Yes, they are steel toe capped. I do my own car maintenance too.

Another benefit I noticed, is that once the pedals start turning, the weight of the shoes creates momentum and so, subsequent pedal turns become easier. It's almost pedal assist.

Lovacott

Über Member
They're frigging brilliant.

I'm not a builder but I've got a pair for general DIY.

For utility cycling I wear regular clothing and shoes and the feet have been suffering of late. Today, I donned my ankle length builder boots and the feet were toasty. Not only that, the thick, stiff sole is good for powering up the hills.

Considering they can be picked up for £20 or less, they make flat pedal winter cycling shoes look like a rip off.
I use builders boots for my commute. Fully waterproof and big enough inside to take a double layer of socks.

My flat pedals grip into the boots treads a treat.

If I wear my waterproof overtrousers, I can clip them over the high neck of the boot to stop any rain getting in.

Perfect.

Slick

Guru
I wore work boots most of my working life, started off labouring up to my knees in mud and concrete so wellies were the order of the day. Finally got off the ground but steel toe caps were still required and I learned a few things, like 2 pairs of socks leave your feet cold and thick woolly socks dry your feet out and eventually leads to painfully hard skin. Work boots are for work and it's been 5 years since I've done any real work but I certainly won't be giving up my nice light northwave boots for a pair of Jallatte's any time soon, sorry.

Top Bottom