Builders boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Work boots are for work and it's been 5 years since I've done any real work but I certainly won't be giving up my nice light northwave boots for a pair of Jallatte's any time soon, sorry.

I've been wearing work boots in work for over 30 years and I suppose I've got used to them.

I only started using them for cycling when my trainers were still wet from a commute home the night before.

So much better in the wet and mud than any cycling shoe or trainer.

Also, wearing work boots when you commute signals to the white van man behind you that you are not a lycra luvvie asking to get run over but rather a fellow working class battler.

Slick

Guru
I've been wearing work boots in work for over 30 years and I suppose I've got used to them.

I only started using them for cycling when my trainers were still wet from a commute home the night before.

So much better in the wet and mud than any cycling shoe or trainer.

Also, wearing work boots when you commute signals to the white van man behind you that you are not a lycra luvvie asking to get run over but rather a fellow working class battler.
I've still got a few different tools in the box that can get that message across. :okay:

Lovacott

Über Member
I always had cold feet wearing steel toe caps. When i used to lead off road rides if I turned up at the start wearing my wellies the assembled used to worry. Where’s he taking us today?:laugh:
My boots are pretty feral to be honest.

1609275815048.jpeg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The

Centrifugal builders boots, I think you have just invented something.
I've got a pair of heavy leather Scarpa Asolo hiking boots. You get a sort of pendulum momentum from them which is great over rocky ground.

Never tried them with SPDs or flats.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Have to agree with you, but this year I discovered walking boots are just as good (as long as it’s the stiff sole style), a bit pricey compared to builders boots.
Not necessarily expensive - keep an eye out for Aldi's walking boots on offer. Full leather, completely waterproof as I found out on Sunday's ride and only £20.

Bloody uncomfortable for walking in, but brilliant for cycling with flat pedals.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I regularly wear heavy boots when I'm going to my work. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but cars give me a wider berth when I've got them on.

No, you're not imagining it. Most of my rides involve an element of gravel/dirt tracks, which can be wet and muddy much of the year. Therefore unless the sun is cracking the stones I'll usually be wearing workmen's boots - so if I have to put a foot down in a mudbath or I come off I'm not going to mess up any decent gear. Likewise if the weather is chilly or grey and overcast I'll have a hi-vis coat on to go with the boots. So you've got a 6 ft bloke in size 10/11 steels, wearing shabby jeans or combat trousers, with a grubby hi-vis and riding a beaten up looking old steel bike fitted with two odd tyres. For some inexplicable reason I get no hassle whatsoever from drivers in traffic....:laugh:.

I wear safety boots with toecaps and a plate under the sole for work and have done for years. I ride to and from work in them as well without any trouble, although they don't always fit into commuter cages that well...

Top Bottom