building a recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
so have any of you lot actually welded a recumbent frame your self? i can weld about 2.5- 3mm minimum steel tube at the moment would this be okay?
Cheers Ed

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:ohmy: I forecast disaster ;)

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
you haven't seen me with an arc welder! :tongue: what could possibly go wrong (he said with a slight stutter)
Cheers Ed

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
you haven't seen me with an arc welder! :tongue: what could possibly go wrong (he said with a slight stutter)
Cheers Ed
Dunno what could go wrong, but I have a vivid imagination :smile:
Wait until the more experienced members give you advice before welding the welder :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wish I could weld. I'd love to have a go at making something like a recumbent. (The lack of a workshop doesn't help either of course :whistle:)

I shall follow this thread with interest.:thumbsup:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
A bike made of 2.5 mm thick steel would be heavy, but as long as your joints are sound there's no reason you can't build a bike. You should make a joint and then cut it in half from time to time, and look at it really carefully to make sure you've penetrated sufficiently and that the bits you thought were welded really are.

Check out Atomic Zombie's books on building your own bikes of various designs from scrap frames etc. Mostly they suggest welding, as MIG welding is relatively easy to learn, and cheap to do once you own the machine. It's quite hard to make really neat welds in thin-walled round tubing, though - that's usually done in production with a TIG welding machine which is a new level of skill and expense.

If you want to build elegant machines from thinner-walled steel tubes, I'd suggest learning to braze. You'll need a small oxyacetylene rig for that, but the results are just as strong, much nicer to look at and you can build much lighter bikes.

And to answer your original question, no I haven't built a bike from scratch. But I've made substantial modifications to several which are still in one piece and haven't broken! And I make custom racks for recumbents and Moultons from time to time, all fillet brazed in mild or 4130 cro-moly steel.

Last edited:

lukesdad

No reason why you can't arc weld thin tubing but it takes a fair amount of practice the main problem being not lack of penetration but burning bloody great holes in it.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
A bike made of 2.5 mm thick steel would be heavy, but as long as your joints are sound there's no reason you can't build a bike.

thought so alright for playing and seeing if me making a bike is feasible or even possible

If you want to build elegant machines from thinner-walled steel tubes, I'd suggest learning to braze. You'll need a small oxyacetylene rig for that, but the results are just as strong, much nicer to look at and you can build much lighter bikes.

maybe in the future when iv'e found out that it's possible for me to build a bike

think i may do something like this
http://www.atomiczombie.com/Warrior Recumbent Tadpole Racing Trike.aspx

i have a mate with both a recumbent solo trike and a 2 wheel one behind the other new recumbent tandem so i hve those two to look at steering linkages etc on and take camber angles..... and i of course have YOU LOT! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
No reason why you can't arc weld thin tubing but it takes a fair amount of practice the main problem being not lack of penetration but burning bloody great holes in it.
thats why i said 2.5mm due to the huge gaping holes been there done that
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
thats why i said 2.5mm due to the huge gaping holes been there done that
Cheers Ed
thats where meta and money and time gets wasted and then you get impatient and then you give up on ever building a recumbent
i would rather have a heavy recumbent than no recumbent!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom