building a trailer as cheap as possible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
I've got this in the garage if it's any good to you and you can pick it up
mark thanks a million buddy but i live in ireland ,
DSCF5773.jpg

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
mark thanks a million buddy great offer but i live in ireland ,long way from your garage ah well.

hi all,
i was looking at the bob trailer on line really nice piece of kit but to much money for me sorry to say.
so is it possible to buy just the parts and build it myself ,stupid question i know but you got to ask .
any other ideas how i could build a similar trailer. or better still has anyone built one and be willing to post some photos on it thanks.

When I was a kid, which was many years ago, we used to make all sort of trailers from pram wheels and such like to tow behind out bikes, I doubt it is too hard to buy the material and make a very good trailer with some thought, maybe need to get good alloy welder to do the welding. but apart from that a few nuts and bolts should do it, and nick a wheel off a buggy or pram.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
thanks for that great bargain.tell me please that trailer is obviously a copy of the BOB whats the difference in the two.

I suspect that the Ebay one is an Edinburgh Bike Co-operative clone. Interestingly I was going to recommend the Edinburgh clone to you but when I went to their web site to check it out, they don't appear to sell them anymore. The Ebay vendor might have picked up the discontinued stock.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks vernon ,i reckon that would be a good purchase emm wonder would the wife let me use her credit card..

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
Go for it. It saves all of the hassle of making one and you get the waterproof bag too - a bargain!

vernon i bit the bullet and bought it this morning,
now i just have to make a few changes to my raleigh bike.
thanks everyone for all the help much appreciated.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
lads i need to change things on my bike to get it looking like a proper tourer.
i'm not going to be using racks just the new trailer hopefully.so what i need recommendations for is the following.
triple chainset/bottom bracket to suit.
front/rear derailleurs.9 speed.
brake calibers .
i have to keep cost down as low as possible, basically no money .
so point me in the right direction lads what works what doesn't.
the problem i have finding brake calipers the dia comp one's have the nut on the back of the fork i want to scrap these and buy better brakes ,but the bolt on the new brakes are shorter and countersunk into the frame and front forks.hope im explaining that well enough.
my bike is an old Raleigh 753 road bike top of the line (in its day) really class bike they just dont make them like that anymore imho.
like to post pic's but no idea how to.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Conversion can be an expensive business.

I don't know your existing set up but if you have a seven speed cassette on your rear wheel, you might not be able to fit a nine speed cassette as the hub can't accommodate it.

that in itself isn't a problem if you are willing to put up with seven speeds - a megarange rear cassette will give you a low bottom gear.

If you want small chain rings then a mountain bike chain set is what you need. Shimano Alivio will do the job at the budget end as you can replace the rings as they wear out. You'll need a matching bottom bracket - your LBS will be able to advise you.

I can't advise you on brakes as I only have cantis on my bikes and have no experience of conventional calipers.

Rear derailleur - once again Alivio will give you a leg up. Well maintained it will last for ages - mine has. Alternatively Deore. Bot typoe need long arm to accomodate the slack.
Front can be a bit of a lottery - I use Shimano Sora.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
tthanks again vernon i'll check out that alivio gear ,i have a nine speed wheel on the bike at the moment works no problem .

andym

Über Member
like to post pic's but no idea how to.

If you have a question that's not really connected to the original topic, it's best (both for you and for people using the search facility) to start a new thread.

As far pictures are concerned there are two methods:

- use an online picture sharing service like Picasa, flickr photobucket and then include a link to the picture in your post (there's a button for this - see screenshot 1);

screenshot1.jpg

- upload the picture as an attachment (you may need to scroll down to find the button to do this - see screenshot2.

Screenshot2.jpg

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
i was just reading reviews on this trailer i bought, cass gilbert give it thumbs up said it is a great trailer but the bag is not
waterproof the seems need to be sealed.
so how do i go about this is there a waterproof material i can buy ,and if so anyone got a link
thanks again.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
ok I'll try that.
had a look came across seam sealer will that do the trick.
thanks
jags.

Top Bottom