building a trailer as cheap as possible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
hi all,
i was looking at the bob trailer on line really nice piece of kit but to much money for me sorry to say.
so is it possible to buy just the parts and build it myself ,stupid question i know but you got to ask .
any other ideas how i could build a similar trailer. or better still has anyone built one and be willing to post some photos on it thanks.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Well I'm not sure how to make the bob, but if you go have a look at the Carry Y-frame I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to recreate (just a matter of getting some single-sided hubs)

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
Well I'm not sure how to make the bob, but if you go have a look at the Carry Y-frame I'm sure that wouldn't be too hard to recreate (just a matter of getting some single-sided hubs)

i was actually looking at that last night.looks basis enough .
but to be honest i would rather have the single wheel trailer.
thanks all the same.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
hi all,
i was looking at the bob trailer on line really nice piece of kit but to much money for me sorry to say.
so is it possible to buy just the parts and build it myself ,stupid question i know but you got to ask .
any other ideas how i could build a similar trailer. or better still has anyone built one and be willing to post some photos on it thanks.

By the time you buy the parts, cutting tools and create a jig to line up the parts to make a robust and reliable near clone you will have spent somewhere near the cost of the Bob Trailer.

I'd bite the bullet and save up to buy the bob trailer.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
there is this one on e-bay
I have a Bob Yak and it is possible to build one, but you will need access to a welder, pipe bending tools ect and you would still need to buy the attachment for the fixing to the rear wheel.
Now have you ever towed a single wheel, firstly they are very good if you keep the weight down, under 35lb, but with a heavy load they are a pain in the arse as you have to keep it upright at all times when stopped, one the load goes over you wouldn't/can't hole it up believe me I had this a couple of weeks ago with 80lb of shopping well over the top, but not for a two wheel trailer.
Actual I'm thinking of buying one like this one and before you ask no I'm not selling mine sorry

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
There are lots of ideas and designs here on the Instructables site. I bought an old Halfords children's trailer last year for taking granddaughter out in. When she, and new GD, are too big for it and riding their own bikes I might convert it.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks all good info there ,numbnuts i like the look of the one on ebay looks a lot like the bob, i would not be carrying anywhere near 80lb, 35lb maybe. my son in law is a fitter by trade maybe i will show him a bob and see if he can make it. the hitch would be the problem .
anyway lads thanks .

Arch

Married to Night Train
thanks all good info there ,numbnuts i like the look of the one on ebay looks a lot like the bob, i would not be carrying anywhere near 80lb, 35lb maybe. my son in law is a fitter by trade maybe i will show him a bob and see if he can make it. the hitch would be the problem .
anyway lads thanks .

If you're opting for the BoB type, then the hitch is basically a pair of forks that hook over a longer rear wheel skewer, and they only need to be able to pivot side to side on the trailer body. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate - either bodge some actual forks (they'll need spreading a bit I think), or make up arms with hooks on the end to hook over the skewer.

andym

Über Member
A complete how-to here:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=8277&v=31

It looks pretty professional - although I think this comes under the heading of making stuff yourself because you like making stuff even though you don't save any money.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I've got this in the garage if it's any good to you and you can pick it up

DSCF5773.jpg

Top Bottom