Building a trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Decided to give a tricycle a go , need to sort out the front brakes and the rear derailleur but getting there .
DSC05415.JPG

Paul

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Like it! More close-ups of the technical bits, please :smile:

Sharky

Guru
I like it.

What are you plans for the brakes?

I bought a secondhand tandem trike years ago and it came with very ineffective dual rear brakes, operated by the left hand lever. My solution then was to have a front wheel built with a drum brake as a the second braking system to the existing caliper brake. Thus both brakes on the front wheel. Still working well. Nowadays, I guess you would go for a disc option instead of the drum.

An old club mate used to have a double pair of calipers on the front of his trike.

Good luck with the rest of the build.
Keith

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Not quite home built more home assembled,basically just a case of mating up a Longstaff trike conversion axle and a 70's Peugeot 10 speed .
A few ideas for the front brake ranging from making spacers to mount a pair of centre pulls operating separately , finding a fork with cantilever posts and fitting a post to mount a side pull brake in front of the canti's or maybe a pair of lateral pull brakes mounted front and rear on the fork .

Paul

starhawk

I always think of these ones as "only halfway" as they still have that pain in the ass, the saddle. But of course it is a cheap way to upgrade the bike. Going all the way is a more costly conversion, but one of the great things I discovered with the trike was getting rid of the saddle and riding in a chair. No more need to harden the crutch for the season :smile: Just hop on and ride, mile after mile and no pain :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I always think of these ones as "only halfway" as they still have that pain in the ass, the saddle. But of course it is a cheap way to upgrade the bike. Going all the way is a more costly conversion, but one of the great things I discovered with the trike was getting rid of the saddle and riding in a chair. No more need to harden the crutch for the season :smile: Just hop on and ride, mile after mile and no pain :okay:

You would say that :smile:.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru

Fortunately I'm a Yorkshireman so as tight as a ducks arse and as hard as nails :tongue:

Paul

T4tomo

Guru
What's the front brake issue? I would have thought that was the easy one, leave as is? Presumably sorting out a rear brake is trickier, presumably needs to be a disc brake on the axle ?

Sharky

Guru
What's the front brake issue? I would have thought that was the easy one, leave as is? Presumably sorting out a rear brake is trickier, presumably needs to be a disc brake on the axle ?
One of the problems with rear brakes is that there is not enough weight bearing down on the tyres/road, so the rear wheel would just lock when the brake applied.

Top Bottom