Building a trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What's the front brake issue? I would have thought that was the easy one, leave as is? Presumably sorting out a rear brake is trickier, presumably needs to be a disc brake on the axle ?
Lightweight barrows traditionally had two brakes on the front wheel. Tourers sometimes had two-wheel drive and a drum-brake on one rear wheel. I think the latter became illegal, hence latterly George Longstaff built his some of his tourers with two drum-brakes.
Conversions can be a bit difficult to handle because the steering angles aren't quite right.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Don't quote me Ian but if memory serves me rightly the trail needs to be increased roughly 3/8" (10mm) on a conversion ? not having much experience with trikes I'm just enjoying the challenge at the moment but if a full on trike should turn up I may just be tempted .

Paul

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It would possibly handle much better. I remember George looking at my conversion (many years ago) and laughing—"That's just a toy!". Mind you, mine was a Ken Rogers axle, so not a patch on a Longstaff.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Like it! More close-ups of the technical bits, please :smile:
a few pics of the axle conversion and brakes :thumbsup:
trike3.jpg trike4.jpg trike5.jpg trike6.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
That I think is a very old conversion set. I'm fairly certain that George had stopped making them by the mid-80s. I like the reversed block to allow bigger sprockets. That double centre-pull is neat too.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Unfortunately the reversed block is a trick of the light Ian the block is a six speed 14-24 that was all I had at hand other than 5 speed blocks and was a tight squeeze ,the brake was the easiest option as I had no luck finding a cantilever braked fork that I liked the look of (I wanted something with a cast fork crown) and most of the other options involved either side pulls behind the fork or expensive lateral pull aero brakes .

Paul

Top Bottom