Building a wooden side gate - help...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Some ramblings from me -
If you are making your own, have you considered 2x smaller gates ? (I guess one won't open properly cos of the wall)
In case you are tempted to use a steel metpost instead of concrete, check that there no gas, electric or water services beneath
f you have some spare Cuprinol you might want to dip the end of the post for a few hours before concreting in

Putting a top rail between your two posts will stiffen it up greatly.

The guy who put our wooden drive gates in wasn't going to bother with a top rail, but I insisted. He seemed a bit miffed, but they've been in 3 years now and haven't budged a fraction as far as I can see. Neighbour had his done without a top rail and within a month, he'd gone out and bought one and put it in himself.

What price peace of mind?

Sheddy's point about preservation is a good one... creosote dipping, or old engine oil works, although creosote is banned thanks to EEC Health & Safety(I think). Stick the base of the post in a bucket of the stuff overnight, or, dig a small hole somewhere in the garden, pour the preserver into a plastic 'builder's' bag etc and then rest the post inside so that it can have a good drink... lift post and bag out together in the morning or whenever, and refill the hole. Carefully pour the contents of the bag back into an appropriate container and dump the plastic bag.

Top Bottom