Building muscle strength?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
What is the census of opinion on doing additional exercises to build strength in my thigh and calf muscles over and above riding?
I realise that technique has a part to play in increasing my speed as does the increase in my aerobic fitness however, the question going through my mind is that if I build more strength in my calf and thigh muscles, this can only be of benefit. Am I right?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
High absolute strength is of very limited use on the bike, short of full on track sprinting etc.

But if you enjoy it, then why not.

MrB1obby

I would expect so personally, but I don't know much.

Squats (do bodyweight at first so you don't injure yourself), deadlift, calf raises are all good for legs and can be done at home with improvisation.

vickster

Legendary Member
But get a trainer to show you how to do these properly so you don't knacker your knees and other body parts!

Licramite

Über Member
I do 30 squats every morning whilst shaveing
and hit the turbo for at least an hour a week (normally 2 or 3)
- which ain't much but I'm old an knckered.-
work on your leg muscles and getting your weight to a fighting weight can only be a bonus.
I think its a matter of getting your body used to a daily level of exercise.

I do pressups to strengthen my arms as you need arm strength to support you, especially when your out the saddle , so doing arm weights wouldn't go amiss.
After some rides my arms are killing me more than my legs.

Ningishzidda

The quads, calves and glutes are only useful if the antagonistic muscles are trained in equality. If you desire to climb a steep hill, you will need some ‘low end torque’. This is achieved by pulling as well as pushing, and will get you more than using bodyweight alone.

ayceejay

Guru
"I do 30 squats every morning whilst shaving"
Am I safe in assuming that you use a cordless shaver as I wouldn't want our OP to try this with an open razor. :giggle:

This question regarding leg strength does crop up periodically and we have yet to arrive at a definitive answer.
In this case however when the question appears to be: will adding strength and muscle to my legs increase my speed on the bike, the answer is probably no. More intense work on the bike (via a proper training plan) will no doubt serve you better.

Licramite

Über Member
- No pain no gain -
a good way of building up your legs is to wear 5lb ankle weights on each leg - all day - it builds up the muscle in a even way as you use all the muscles. instead of just hitting one group. (we used to go running in them - killer)

I can't see how building up your leg muscles can't improve your speed and power as long as its built into a stamina regime as well (I don't just mean muscle pumping)
If your used to picking up 40Lb wieghts you will do it longer than someone who ain't, if your used to pushing a peddle with say a resistance of 20lds your going to burn out long after some one who isn't (I have no idea what the Ld resistance on pedals going up a 25% hill is - its just an example)

But of course coupled with proper tecnique would save a lot of had work and give better results.

PK99

Legendary Member
What is the census of opinion on doing additional exercises to build strength in my thigh and calf muscles over and above riding?
I realise that technique has a part to play in increasing my speed as does the increase in my aerobic fitness however, the question going through my mind is that if I build more strength in my calf and thigh muscles, this can only be of benefit. Am I right?

Over the winter i have done very little on the bike because of the weather, but have done a reasonable amount in the gym: 20 in sessions on a spin bike or 30 on a Concept 2 rowing machine for the cardio stuff, with some leg benefit, plus loads on a variety of leg machines both for cycling and skiing: Calf press, adductor and abductor, leg press (in endurance mode, knees at around 90 degrees extend to 120 degrees: 3 sets of 100 @ 100kg effect is like the old ski exercise of "sittng" against the wall.)

Plus i lost a stone on the 5:2 diet.

I got on the bike last week for my first ride of the year other than a few hours on the towpath and found my climbing is better than ever it has been in the past: faster, easier longer, higher gears- no granny ring!!- and 10bpm lower heart rate on Ranmore and Box Hill.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Over the winter i have done very little on the bike because of the weather, but have done a reasonable amount in the gym: 20 in sessions on a spin bike or 30 on a Concept 2 rowing machine for the cardio stuff, with some leg benefit, plus loads on a variety of leg machines both for cycling and skiing: Calf press, adductor and abductor, leg press (in endurance mode, knees at around 90 degrees extend to 120 degrees: 3 sets of 100 @ 100kg effect is like the old ski exercise of "sittng" against the wall.)

Plus i lost a stone on the 5:2 diet.

I got on the bike last week for my first ride of the year other than a few hours on the towpath and found my climbing is better than ever it has been in the past: faster, easier longer, higher gears- no granny ring!!- and 10bpm lower heart rate on Ranmore and Box Hill.

amaferanga

Veteran
I can't see how building up your leg muscles can't improve your speed and power as long as its built into a stamina regime as well (I don't just mean muscle pumping)

Well the funny thing is though that's there's not much (any?) research to show that building up your leg muscles through weights does make you a better cyclist, but if someone does what you suggest (i.e. weights to increase muscle mass AND proper training on the bike) then they'll likely get faster and claim it's because they lifted a few weights.

Train properly on the bike and you'll see gains that you'd never see from squats or any other weights you want to lift. Unfortunately there are no short-cuts in cycling and for your moderately trained / unfit cyclist it's riding and training they need, not bigger muscles.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Well it looks like I opened up an old can of worm however, I am grateful for all the replies.
As far as a training plan to help me increase my speed and endurance it appears this the way to go. If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly received.

Top Bottom