Building muscle strength?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ningishzidda

If you do weights, how much faster would you be if you didn't?
if you didn't do weights, how much faster would you be if you did?

Ningishzidda

In an interview for Men’s Fitness magazine, Bradley Wiggins releases some information on how he trains with weights.
He says he does sets of 50 reps with 10 kg on the stack.
I tried this last night. Judging by how it felt, I think there are some words edited out of Bradley’s statement.
‘Alternate’ before ‘leg press’ would be more apt; and ‘plus bodyweight’ might be another couple of missing words.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
The big problem with doing weights for cycling, is you might become a Chris Hoy lookie-likey.

No disrespect to Chris Hoy but I have no desire to look like him and being totally honest I have never been one for going to the gym and pushing weights to build large muscles.
I think the simple answer is that I need to build and improve my aerobic fitness.

Hacienda 71 I can understand your comments about the triple should offer me more options however, I agree with Sittingduck about getting the ratio's right.

Last but not least I think I need to bow my head in shame Ningishzidda you certainly have a point about my age, perhaps I just need to take a more positive attitude and put myself on the line by giving it a go.

Thanks all for your feedback.

How do you know they help? Claims like this is what misleads people.
Dan Martin has recently said he does less miles on the bike than many pro riders but spends more time in the gym working his legs than most. He says in the end it evens itself out and works well for him.

To be clear i do not do weights for cycling. I have my own methods for building strength, speed and endurance. I think it works for me. If someone said to me that by doing weights i could become a more complete cyclist, i would respectfully decline. I wouldn't claim weights are not effective in cycling. That's just not proven. In fact the amount of elite racers and pro's who lift weights would point to the opposite.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Both methods are proven in the world of cycling. I also think a common misconception about doing weights is that you will end up with huge heavy muscles.
I'll rephase his question

If I go to the gym and squat/leg press 100kg 10 x for 5 sets. How much faster will that make me directly?

If I don't go to the gym,instead training specifically by riding a bike- how much faster would going to the gym make me?

Neither of these questions will be answerable.

ps: these are long but very much worth viewing if you keep in mind that the comparision is anaerobic vs aerobic.

View: http://youtu.be/nhDH6QDDVvo

View: http://youtu.be/wo4ljwmtqbw

View: http://youtu.be/lKeR_As6E2U

I'll rephase his question

If I go to the gym and squat/leg press 100kg 10 x for 5 sets. How much faster will that make me directly?

If I don't go to the gym,instead training specifically by riding a bike- how much faster would going to the gym make me?

Neither of these questions will be answerable.
Of course it is impossible to quantify but i hear this argument of weight training in cycling often. End of the day it works for some and might not for others. It is for the individual to try and decide based on their own experience. Some on here have no doubt been told weight training will help no end and others it is pointless. IMO both are incorrect. We, as cyclists, can only offer our opinion.
It is often stated on here that weight training will offer no gain in terms of cycling. This is not 100% accurate and for that reason i think it is slightly misleading to make such claims. It is also wrong for someone to suggest that weights is the best or only way to increase leg strength.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Of course it is impossible to quantify but i hear this argument of weight training in cycling often.
And it'll continue for decades probably.

End of the day it works for some and might not for others. It is for the individual to try and decide based on their own experience.
That's part of the issue. "Doing X works for me" is anecdotal. A lot of the people who claim weights helped their cycling also admit to increasing their mileage. It's probably not hard to see where the real gains come from.

Some on here have no doubt been told weight training will help no end and others it is pointless.

IMO both are incorrect. We, as cyclists, can only offer our opinion.
We can also research, and think for ourselves instead of swallowing everything pros print in books and mag editors send to print.

It is often stated on here that weight training will offer no gain in terms of cycling. This is not 100% accurate and for that reason i think it is slightly misleading to make such claims. It is also wrong for someone to suggest that weights is the best or only way to increase leg strength.
There are always some to rely for various reasons on gym work,prescribed or otherwise. When you look at how and when different muscle fibre types are recruited, how they adapt to stimulation, the energy systems they use, their inherent blood flow, their speed of fatigue. The science alone weighs heavily on strength training having very little effect upon aerobic cycling. The exceptions generally limit themselves to sprinters or track racers,two examples where explosive but limited anaerobic efforts reign.

And it'll continue for decades probably.

That's part of the issue. "Doing X works for me" is anecdotal. A lot of the people who claim weights helped their cycling also admit to increasing their mileage. It's probably not hard to see where the real gains come from.

We can also research, and think for ourselves instead of swallowing everything pros print in books and mag editors send to print.

There are always some to rely for various reasons on gym work,prescribed or otherwise. When you look at how and when different muscle fibre types are recruited, how they adapt to stimulation, the energy systems they use, their inherent blood flow, their speed of fatigue. The science alone weighs heavily on strength training having very little effect upon aerobic cycling. The exceptions generally limit themselves to sprinters or track racers,two examples where explosive but limited anaerobic efforts reign.
Magazines, papers, books - sure those are a source. Lets discount them then assuming they misquote or mislead.

Another is the cyclist him/herself. The pro, elite racer or even keen amateur. The cycling coach or the team trainer.
Point being that all of these positions may tell you that weight training is beneficial for some types of cycling. Perhaps for extra explosiveness in a climb or that sprint at the end of a race. Maybe it is to raise ones power to weight ratio.
Whatever the reason, some of the best riders in the world do weights. Some of the best cycling coaches in the world tell their riders to do weights. Now you could assume that they have done some research in to the matter and that is one of the reasons they are at the top of their game. Team Sky leave no stone unturned and several of their riders are on weight specific training.

What i disagree with entirely is the 'what works for one works for all' idea that is sometimes put across. Exactly the same with dieting. Sure there is a starting point that will serve you well but after that it's up to the individual to discover what does and doesn't work for them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Bleeergh, it's all a load of old Horlicks anyway, ain't it?!

Not just the stuff in this thread, I might add... I'm talking about life, in general. Do whatever you feel like!!
:biggrin:

Top Bottom