Building muscle strength?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chqshaitan

Guru
I have been watching this thread with interest as i have recently got back into cycling after spending 3 years in the gym with a personal trainer for 2 hours a week. so thought i would give me view on the benefits / downsides of weight training in the gym on cycling.

Just to clarify that my definition of weight training for legs is to add bulk not tone up, as you can do that on a (stationary) bike far better than lifting some weights.

Where i see the extra strength in your legs coming into its own is if you need a quick burst of speed, ie when you set off. Having really strong legs (different from toned) generally would give you no benefit and depending on the size of your legs, could actually be a detriment, as every extra pound of weight in muscle means that you have to put just that bit more of effort into each turn of the wheel to continue at a steady pace as someone who is not as muscular. Nevermind on hills where the effort becomes significantly more.

With cycling your body requires a really efficient cv system. I know a lot of really massive guys at the gym who could lift very heavy weights, but are out of breath when they get to the top of a single flight of stairs.

So like most things in life, its about all things in moderation. Its no good having a really muscular body if you do not work your cv system.

If i was starting off in a gym now to complement my cycling, I would use the various modes on the bikes/cross trainer to give yourself a good and varied workout, and also do some light weights by high no of reps for upper body toning in conjunction with core workouts, as this will do more for your outdoor cycling than lifting weights alone.

All of this heavily depends on your current level of fitness and muscle tone so each to their own.

my 2 p :smile:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I do weights because I enjoy it, if it has an effect on cycling - good or bad - then I'll live with it lol

chqshaitan

Guru
i could'nt agree more, end of the day, we all have day jobs, families and other commitments.

Cycling is just something we do for fun, so we will never get to the level of a pro as real life gets in the way.

I am still going to do weights just so dont loose the tone/muscle i have built up over the years, and i appreciate that this will have a negative effect on my cycling, but its a compromise i am willing to make.

PK99

Legendary Member
Right now my intention is to get out and ride more whilst keeping a note of my performance on each ride to see what gains I get and how quickly or not they take to achieve. Then in 3 months time I will take stock of what my performance is at that time, which may result in me doing some weight training on my legs or I may just continue doing what I have been doing.
I think the important point is, that I have base level to start analysing my performance from and then to measure against this in 3 months time to see what improvements I have gained.

but don't take much notice of ride to ride variations, there are too many non controllable variables. Long term changes are the best measure - there area couple of hills that used to be 165+bpm that now cruise up at 150bpm. That short climb close to home used to be a killer, now I hardly notice it.

Just back from a ride. 2 hours 45mins, 45 miles and 4000t+ of climbing.
On the final climb i bonked. Down into the granny gear. I should know much better as i didn't take any food with me. Just an energy drink. I should be eating hourly but sometimes forget. :wacko:

Good session though. Mixture of Cat3 and Cat4 hills, all done at low cadence. Around 50-70rpm.

montage

God Almighty
It may also have been one of the reason they got where they are. They were once mere mortals too! No cyclist has ever been great without hard training.

Many of them would have been faster than 95% of this forum the first time they rode a bike. Think Cav talking about how he used to ride a bmx bike when young then said "if I get a road bike I can win these races" - he was given a road bike and lapped the field. Michael Hutchinson rode a short 23 minute TT or something like that in his first race, wearing baggy shorts on an old bike. He couldn't understand why everyone was so slow. Turns out he has freakishly big lungs.

Many of them would have been faster than 95% of this forum the first time they rode a bike. Think Cav talking about how he used to ride a bmx bike when young then said "if I get a road bike I can win these races" - he was given a road bike and lapped the field. Michael Hutchinson rode a short 23 minute TT or something like that in his first race, wearing baggy shorts on an old bike. He couldn't understand why everyone was so slow. Turns out he has freakishly big lungs.
True some of these guys are very gifted naturally but they are racing against similarly gifted people. Kind of evens out the field and marginal gains in training will mean everything.

spock

How do you know they help? Claims like this is what misleads people.
its people like you who dont read posts,and just reply for the sake of a row that make me dislike forums where in my posts do i say that lifting helps others and im out mislead others ,,i know that they help me for reasons i wont go into ,i dont advise others either way ,,,,, ive followed a few of your bullish replys and they neither impress nor intimidate me ,dont know which you were trying to do ,, but it didnt ,,,,,,, with all your so called knowledge i suggest you become a pt for cycling your a natural ,,,,

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
its people like you who dont read posts,and just reply for the sake of a row that make me dislike forums where in my posts do i say that lifting helps others and im out mislead others ,,i know that they help me for reasons i wont go into ,i dont advise others either way ,,,,, ive followed a few of your bullish replys and they neither impress nor intimidate me ,dont know which you were trying to do ,, but it didnt ,,,,,,, with all your so called knowledge i suggest you become a pt for cycling your a natural ,,,,

He had a valid point.

Top Bottom