Building my own 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rochesterboy

I am newbie here as well as in building a bike.

I would like to build a light weight bike for my wife. Towards that, I purchased a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0 XS frame from eBay yesterday for $200 bucks.
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0

I would like to build this as a Hybrid/flat bar bike for my wife. Considering that I am new to this, I am looking for help/direction and have a lot of questions.

1. What's the best place to buy in-expensive parts for this build?
2. Where can I get detailed specifications to ensure that I buy correct parts?
3. The specs is for a drop bar bike. What do I need to buy for a flatbar bike?

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC.

Were mostly brits on here but we do have a fair proportion on from the States.

Id say firstly you’ll need to set out your aims in terms of specs, i.e. how many speeds ( cassette and double or triple chainset), wheel type ( narrow racier rims or wider) and tyre size ( you’ll likely be limited to 28c max for that frame). Wheel diameter will be 700c (28”) for your frame. Shifters need to be speed compatible with the cassette and chainset.
Best place to buy inexpensively would be EBay or perhaps garage sales where you might be able to pick up a donor bike for cheap. Be prepared to true mildly buckled wheels and replace bearings if need be.
You'll also need a selection of basic bike tools which you might be able to get as a kit, something like this which is from Jensen USA: 597605
https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-Elite-Bike-Tool-Kit1

You could also try Decathlon where you could also get new wheels, tyres, tubes, chainset, chain, shifters and derailleurs at a good price.
https://www.decathlon.com/collections/cycling
Good luck and if you need any further help please ask.
@Gravity Aided might be able some more info as he’s in the US.

Last edited:

battered

Guru
Hello and welcome. Another vote here for buying a used bike of the spec you want and using it for parts. Buying individual bits, unless you are prepared to scour ebay for weeks, is expensive. I recently bought a basic spec Giant Defy on here, working, little used, for the price of a cheap pair of wheels. Bits of it may need servicing but it's all there and I know it works. As regards tools, the bike toolbox sets can be good, just avoid the cheapest, nastiest versions.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC.

Were mostly brits on here but we do have a fair proportion on from the States.

Id say firstly you’ll need to set out your aims in terms of specs, i.e. how many speeds ( cassette and double or triple chainset), wheel type ( narrow racier rims or wider) and tyre size ( you’ll likely be limited to 28c max for that frame). Wheel diameter will be 700c (28”) for your frame. Shifters need to be speed compatible with the cassette and chainset.
Best place to buy inexpensively would be EBay or perhaps garage sales where you might be able to pick up a donor bike for cheap. Be prepared to true mildly buckled wheels and replace bearings if need be.
You'll also need a selection of basic bike tools which you might be able to get as a kit, something like this which is from Jensen USA: View attachment 597605
https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-Elite-Bike-Tool-Kit1

You could also try Decathlon where you could also get new wheels, tyres, tubes, chainset, chain, shifters and derailleurs at a good price.
https://www.decathlon.com/collections/cycling
Good luck and if you need any further help please ask.
@Gravity Aided might be able some more info as he’s in the US.
I believe you can get that same set through Aldi in the U.S., under the Bikemate name for lots less $.
Amazon too

View: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Universal-Mechanic-Mountain-Maintenance/dp/B08LGLTJ89/ref=asc_df_B08LGLTJ89/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475805715755&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4979955689127123706&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022129&hvtargid=pla-1003621057590&psc=1

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I would check out to see if you have some local bicycle co-ops in your area. They are often a source of cheap and gently used parts. Otherwise, you may want to check around and see if anyone you know is involved with bicycling, as they often know where to find the best deals. Beyond that, try the internet. This forum, and Bike Forums in the U.S., are good sources of how-to information, as is YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/user/shyflirt1

vickster

Legendary Member
I would take a look at some geometry charts before you go any further, the top tube length on a drop bar bike can sometimes be wildly different to a flat bar. You might find it difficult to get a comfortable fit.
Definitely, a drop bar bike I converted to flats ended up being far too small for me even with a super long stem. Sold it to a friend who is about 3 inches shorter than me!

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think the Defy is especially aggressive for a roadbike (less so than a TCR) but it could be more so than an upright flatbar (depending on headtube height, how many spacers can go under the stem etc, hopefully the steerer tube hasn't been cut by a previous owner).

If you want to know what parts you need, you could look at the specs for a Giant Escape :okay: (rigid fork fast flatbar, and compare the geo)
specs for past Escape and Rapid models (from entry level to top spec) here
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/search/giant/?q=escape
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/search/giant/flat-bar-road/?q=rapid

it might just be cheaper to buy a used fast flat bar in the right size. $200 sounds quite a lot for an 8 year old frame if you don’t have everything else already

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I would take a look at some geometry charts before you go any further, the top tube length on a drop bar bike can sometimes be wildly different to a flat bar. You might find it difficult to get a comfortable fit.
This ^^^ Is what I was going to put, the Defy Advanced 0 was a top spec drop bar bike, and might not take too well to becoming a flat bar bike, also bear in mind the widest tyre you’ll fit to it is a 700c x 25mm, and there is no space whatsoever for fitting mudguards, I believe you would call them fenders, to the carbon framed Defy range

raggydoll

Über Member
1. What's the best place to buy in-expensive parts for this build?
As others have said, the frame is from quite a high end bike. On your link it was listed at $4800 for the complete bike when new and originally came with ultegra di2 electronic gears which are top end. I think it would seem a bit of a shame to build it up with cheap parts.

You may also struggle to find some cheap parts that fit. Have you tried to source the seatpost? The seatpost is a giant vector composite which looks to be aero shaped. I had a quick look for one of them and couldn't find any for sale. I've read that this post is proprietry so if you can't find that particular seatpost it may be a non starter. You may find another to fit (I'm in no way an expert) but it may be a case that it takes a seat post that they don't make anymore.

The frame also has a press fit bottom bracket so you would need to buy the bottom bracket and the press fit bottom bracket tool to fit it.

Wheels - You mentioned you want to build a lightweight bike with inexpensive parts and inexpensive wheels tend to be heavier.

2. Where can I get detailed specifications to ensure that I buy correct parts?
The link you provided in your original post contained the specs.

3. The specs is for a drop bar bike. What do I need to buy for a flatbar bike?

The giant rapid has essentially the same frame as the defy (albeit aluminium and the frame you bought is high end) but with flat bars and trigger shifters etc.
Sounds like you've bought a defy frame and are trying to build it up into a rapid type bike.
I don't think they make rapids anymore but they seem to have been replaced by the giant fastroad which again is essentially a flat bar road bike. They also have the giant escape which is similar but they label it more of a hybrid. Both of them are flat bars.

Giant rapid from 2013:

Giant fastroad:
1625660158951.png

Giant escape:
1625660222365.png

Not trying to put you off but as you mentioned looking for inexpensive parts you could end up spending a lot to buy all the parts and tools to build up the frame. (potentially more than buying a similar age defy as a complete bike with all the components it originally came with and potentially more than buying a complete flat bar bike).

If budget is an issue then it would likely be cheaper to sell the frame and buy a flat bar road bike.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If budget is an issue then it would likely be cheaper to sell the frame and buy a flat bar road bike.
This. Completely agree. If you're aiming to build a flat bar bike, the very, very best place to start is with a flat bar bike. Converting between the two is often possible, but never cheap, and often ends up with a sub optimal bike and sometimes some creative fixes needed for problems caused by being the wrong bike in the first place.

You can get a used Giant Escape in very, very good condition for about what you paid for the Defy frame, I have a spotless Escape (2017 model) which cost only about 500 bucks new in 2018 (it had "last year's model" discount), it would probably sell used for about $300 now, maximum, even with the current buyer's market. They're not "road bike" quick, but they're quick enough.
And if it's a flat bar that the good lady wants, I'm assuming she's not going racing or is too troubled by an average speed of a couple of MPH less than a road bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can always add some lighter, quicker tyres and wheels to the flatbar for a fraction of the cost of buying and building from scratch. I'd sell the frameset and get a whole bike.
The Specialized Vita is another example of a fast ladies flatbar roadbike which could be a great alternative...or a Trek FX 7.3/.4/5./.6 They are alu but will be as good as a carbon 'Frankenbike' :smile:

OP
OP
rochesterboy

rochesterboy

Friends - I cannot appreciate enough for all of your advices. It would take a day or two for me to process this information and come back with more questions towards more help.

Frame is a high-end carbon frame and it was sold as brand new. I am looking to build a lightweight bike for my wife. Defy as I understand is an endurance bike, so I thought converting it to a flat bar would help me to achieve my goals. I am not planning to go cheap on the parts on a high end frame. I am thinking about USD $1200, we will see. I may be completely wrong on that.

I will consider all your great feedback and will come back for more questions.

Thank you very much.

Top Bottom