Building speed... Does it come naturally?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
I suppose the answer is fairly easy for this question.

As I'm building my miles up, losing the weight etc, will it be reasonable to see a natural trend for speed to rise? My stamina is - managed 18 miles (with a few stops of course) where I could barely do 3 only a few weeks ago.....

Speed will come once you have reached a level in your fitnesses...

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
You know the answer to your question. take it from me, your miles will build, your climbing will improve, your fitness will improve, your thigh muscles won't hurt as much, your waist will drop (I hope because mines not yet) your breathing will become easier, your blood flow will be much healthier and you know what? you'r speed will improve. Mine went from 8 mph ave to 14 mph ave. I went from 45 minute minute rides to 2.5 hour rides. hey I'm still here and feel that I could be here for a while longer

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You gotta push it. You will get further and further, but if you don't push it, like me and @swede54 you'll just cruise a long at a comfortable pace.
This. You will naturally improve to a point .... but to go past that point requires serious effort.

nobbyp

dee.jay

When I started back riding in August I was averaging 11-12mph. Now riding longer and faster - averaging 15 maybe 16 mph now depending on climb & ride length. Improvement on fitness / waking up the cycling muscles is helping for sure but I also have improved my riding technique - using higher cadence and not trying to grind high gears up climbs - this element alone I think had added a couple of mph and leaves more in the tank to ride for longer

nobbyp

Am personally about 1.5 stone away from that point - figure every bit of weight I don't have to drag up hill will help (probably equates to about £2k worth of savings on a lighter bike!!

Top Bottom