Building up a bike from scratch..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Just been to get a mech hanger for the Secteur, so will almost certainly fix it up for now before attempting anything silly like building a bike :scratch:
Could somebody hide my credit card though, was looking at the Sabbath Ti bikes in the lbs :wub:

fimm

Veteran
My o/h bought a new frame to replace one that had cracked and moved everything else from the old frame to the new one - including the forks (it looks a little odd as the old frame was black and the new frame is bright blue). I think he used to throw pretty much everything at the bike shop but finances were a bit tight and with a bit of patience and online research he got it all done. One you own the tools you have them for life, too.

lulubel

Über Member
Patience and a bit of research. The hardest parts are the headset and BB, so if you get the headset fitted ask them if they will face the BB shell for you.

Personally, I found the headset the easiest part (a lot easier than setting up the cantilever brakes) once I'd bought the correct tools for the job. I also cut down my own steerer tube, which is very hefty steel and took about an hour of patient sawing and a destroyed hacksaw blade!

I had asked Wiggle (who I bought the frame and forks from) if they could fit the headset, but I'm glad they said no because, if they had done it, there would still be an aspect of bike building that intimidated me. Now, I'm totally confident to buy lots of bits and make a complete bike out of them.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Have the secteur frame powdercoated if it's just scruffy rather than bent/cracked !
That's my other option Al, was talking about it with the guy in the lbs yesterday.
Do you know exactly how much of the componetry has to be taken off?

Will have a search round for local places that do it :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's my other option Al, was talking about it with the guy in the lbs yesterday.

All of it.
Strip it right down

400bhp

Guru

Which lbs is that Potsy?

I know a reasonably competent car resprayer in Trafford Park and Flixton - reckon they could do a bike no probs.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Including forks and headset?

Yes, but it's a very easy job as I found out recently.
There are a couple of sealed bearings in there that's all.
Easy to take apart and put back together.

400bhp

Guru
Including forks and headset?

Bike shak in Alty, where the Sabbath Ti was :wub:

Ah, been there once. Owner seemed very pleasant and was very apologetic (couldn't fit in a spoke repair for 2 weeks). There's a right monkey that works there though.

Happy for you to borrow tools/knowledge (ahem)/garage space off me if you want. Plus I have the Haynes bike manual. Essential I would say if building a bike from scratch. I would also get a torque wrench. I have one but not one for torques under about 50nm.

Thinking a little more-i would deffo get your spesh cleaned up rather than getting a new one. You might actually be surprised how clean it would get by a complete strip and thorough clean. Get some touch up paint (perhaps hammerite as that doesn't require too much prep) and have a dabble.​

400bhp

Guru
Yes, but it's a very easy job as I found out recently.
There are a couple of sealed bearings in there that's all.
Easy to take apart and put back together.

Completely agree - one of the easier jobs to do.

To be honest the most difficult thing I find about fettling is getting the right components. There's so much variety.

Alun

Guru
It needs to be completely stripped down as it will be gritblasted. Powdercoating is a tough finish and should resist scatching in future. Wide range of colours available, but not suitable for carbon forks AFAIK. Will give you a chance to inspect/clean the components as you take them off.

I built my commuter on a Ribble 7005 Audax frame. It wasn't my first build so it was a simple enough procedure, but thinking back to the first build I did, (an 80's Peugeot resto), it's really not very hard. Just employ a simple methodical process you can't really go wrong.

FWIW I bought my Ribble frame with the Blackthorn forks and Ribble recommended headset, and it came with the headset and forks installed :thumbsup:

The only slip up I had was forgetting to check the front mech. The frame I stripped used a band on mech, and the Ribble uses a braze on, £22 for a new front mech later and all was sorted.

Top Bottom