Builth Wells to Lampeter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
Anyone know a decent route from Builth Wells to National Route 82, maybe near Lampeter or Llanybydder? Avoiding the worst of the hills if possible as I have nearly 100 miles to do that day and am worried about it!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The easiest way is via Llandovery on the A roads. Not terribly busy and reasonably flat. West End cafe in Llandovery is a good cyclists' stop.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The other way is the mountain road to Tregaron and then south on either B or A road. Just a bit more arduous.

lukesdad

The easiest way is via Llandovery on the A roads. Not terribly busy and reasonably flat. West End cafe in Llandovery is a good cyclists' stop.
As Ian says Builth to Llandovery gentle roll up sugar loaf stop at the picnic site just before top spectacular view. Then A40 to Llanwrda nice cafe there too and up to Lampeter. I ride all 3 roads regularly and they are indeed quiet.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Thanks Ian and Lukesdad, I'll do that. I'm then planning to follow route 82 to Cardigan, assuming it's a fairly sensible plan?

lukesdad

Any route from Lampeter to N. Emlyn is going to be pretty lumpy. The main road from Emlyn to Cardigan is quiet flat and follows the lovely Teifi Valley special places of interest being Cenarth falls and Llechryd bridge. All roads other than the coast road are very quiet in these parts Thomk. You could do worse than follow the teifi as near as possible all the way 82 might do this but I cant seem to find a detailed map.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
That's great I think I'm happy with that part now. Do you have have a view on which route would be best from Leominster to Builth? Northern route - A44 and A482 down into Builth or go south - A4112 & A438 turning back towards Builth on the B4351/B4594/B4567. Or perhaps some tiny roads inbetween?

lukesdad

I use the A44 which is fairly flat you bypass Kington but its worth a visit if you have the time lovely straight flat bit past New Radnor with spectacular views. Then a speedy twisty descent torwards Hundred House again with good views from the head of the pass. Only one lump really before and at the start of the 482.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Great. It's good to know that the A roads are OK here as they tend to be bit flatter than the little ones. Cheers.

Top Bottom