Wells to Chepstow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree with Ajax about the section from Cheddar to Axbridge about it being narrow, and parts of it can be a bit dodgy. As to the tunnel only did it once admit that was with out a decent front light and came off so haven't used it since I've used the road section from Axbridge to Winscombe and joined the cycle path there .

Ajax Bay

Guru
As to the tunnel only did it once admit that was with out a decent front light and came off so haven't used it since I've used the road section from Axbridge to Winscombe and joined the cycle path there .
Have no intent to put people off the tunnel. Have been through without a light (well with one but into the tunnel before realised). Stick to half way between the walls and trust. Edit: the tunnel is now a bit lit (enough not to need a light but go slow as others in tunnel may be unlit). Trouble with the road over the col is that it's a grind on a main road with close traffic, and you miss the great (traffic free obv) track all the way past Winscombe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Polecat

Yes should have my mentioned the
A 38 traffic, plus I'd forgotten you will be bogged down with perhaps front and rear panniers my mistake.

Actually, no panniers but an Alpkit saddle bag - not sure how many litres it is - and a 20 litre bar bag. I am going light with just a basic change of clothing and using hotels.

OP
OP
P

Polecat

Actually, I've just looked again and the one I will be using is 13.5 litres, the Alpkit bar bag I was thinking of using was the 20 Litre.
Naturally, it does not have to be full, it is merely its capacity, like having a two gallon bucket and only half filling it. :bicycle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Polecat

<pedant> 13.5 litre bar bag is like a three gallon bucket <pedant/>

We still use the British Imperial system of weights and measures - we didn't desert our heritage.:laugh:
In any case, I was not saying that 13.5 litres was equal to two gallons, I was merely using that as an example of not being fully loaded :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom