Wells to Chepstow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polecat

Can anyone suggest a nice route to cycle between Wells and Chepstow via the Severn Bridge as I head north please?
I suppose trending west of the main Bristol conurbation would be best since it looks something of a nightmare to navigate through, but any advice is more than welcome.
Thank you.

robgul

Legendary Member
Yes to not passing through the horror that is Bristol - BUT is there a reason to be as far east as Wells? A route closer to the Severn would solve the problem (perhaps . . . Bridgwater - just east of Weston and Clevedon - over the M4 cycle path - then meander through Avonmouth to Severn Beach and the Aust Services on the Severn Bridge)
Both the M4 and Severn Bridge crossings are doable - just a bit noisy!

OP
OP
P

Polecat

Yes to not passing through the horror that is Bristol - BUT is there a reason to be as far east as Wells? A route closer to the Severn would solve the problem (perhaps . . . Bridgwater - just east of Weston and Clevedon - over the M4 cycle path - then meander through Avonmouth to Severn Beach and the Aust Services on the Severn Bridge)
Both the M4 and Severn Bridge crossings are doable - just a bit noisy!

I'm coming up from Street after leaving Dartmoor and Wells seems logical to get to the west side. I do have a route that takes me from Wells to the bridge but over the 36 miles for that section it has 44 changes in direction - cues - which since that is going to be a close on a120 mile day and 44 cue changes is going to be tricky for navigating - plus the time it takes to make sure I have made the correct turn - I'd like to find a more direct route, but yes, it does have to be Wells. Thxs.

OP
OP
P

Polecat

Are you aware of cycle.travel website? It has given me good routes from/to Bristol train stations, using cycle paths.
Some form of gps unit needed for this (in my opinion).

Hi Gom, thanks for the suggestion.
I did just look at that site but for some reason it has a suggested route being 46 miles - 10 miles longer - and having 141 cues - changes in direction. :wacko:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Here's a quick go. I have cycled about 4/5ths of that route, several stretches multiple times.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44690541
Reflects much of @robgul 's advice (other than "I wouldn't start from Wells"!) which is ducking the exam question.
I would avoid traversing Bristol too. An alternative strategy would be to head NNE and pick up the Bath Bristol path and that has a junction to a cycle path that takes you right round Bristol (Chew Magna, Keynsham, Oldland Common, and then the cycle path which parallels the A4174, then cut N to Earthcott Green and zag across to Tockington and west).

OP
OP
P

Polecat

Thank you Ajax,

That route looks more interesting than any of seen so far. I like that it goes close to the Severn Estuary.

BTW, just so no one thinks I'm an ingrate, I am answering everyone's suggestions (Thank you) but my responses are not showing here - yet :sad:.

Polecat

the_mikey

Legendary Member
If Wells is your chosen start point, then
Here's a quick go. I have cycled about 4/5ths of that route, several stretches multiple times.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44690541
Reflects much of @robgul 's advice (other than "I wouldn't start from Wells"!) which is ducking the exam question.
I would avoid traversing Bristol too. An alternative strategy would be to head NNE and pick up the Bath Bristol path and that has a junction to a cycle path that takes you right round Bristol (Chew Magna, Keynsham, Oldland Common, and then the cycle path which parallels the A4174, then cut N to Earthcott Green and zag across to Tockington and west).

+1, that's the route I would choose, it avoids travelling directly through Bristol and makes good progress. The other route I'd consider is to head south of Bristol, aiming for Bishop Sutton, Keynsham and then onto the Bristol/Bath Cycle Path, diverting at Mangotsfield to take the A4174 ring road path and skirt around the east of Bristol before heading to Bradley Stoke, Tockington, Olveston and on to Aust

Ajax Bay

Guru

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm coming up from Street after leaving Dartmoor and Wells seems logical to get to the west side
Well if you are actually coming from Street I'd unequivocally recommend the Strawberry Line: heading NW from Street and avoiding the busy Street-Glastonbury trunk road, the Glastonbury's bypass and the A road to Wells. Route from the YH.
From Axbridge (and the cycle tunnel just NW of it) this is exactly the last part of my 'Day 2' and first hour of Day 3.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44705049

OP
OP
P

Polecat

Well if you are actually coming from Street I'd unequivocally recommend the Strawberry Line: heading NW from Street and avoiding the busy Street-Glastonbury trunk road, the Glastonbury's bypass and the A road to Wells. Route from the YH.
From Axbridge (and the cycle tunnel just NW of it) this is exactly the last part of my 'Day 2' and first hour of Day 3.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44705049

Oh, I do like that; what are the dashed lines - tunnels, volunteers ready to do the ride for me, train section, etc.?

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/34894458

If your in Wells Travel out to Wookey the Theale to Wedmore up to Cheddar then Strawberry line cycle path to Yatton then follow my route to Chepstow you'll find you have avoided all of central Bristol you can go either route up along the A 403 though this is a busy road but there is a cycle path its not that well signposted in places , alternatively up through Hallan though a little longer hope this helps Mileage reads 78 but but your only doing some of my route as you can see.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Oh, I do like that; what are the dashed lines - tunnels, volunteers ready to do the ride for me, train section, etc.?
Cycle track not public (tarmaced) road from Cheddar to Yatton. Some sections are tarmaced; others hard pack. I have ridden it many times, on 25s. I would take the road from Cheddar to Axbridge as that short section close to Cheddar Reservoir is a bit narrow and too easy for pedestrians to access and (horror!) walk on.
Edit @Polecat : The tunnel a few km later is short but curved and unlit so dark enough to merit a light. Have just ridden through (twice) after a couple of years not. The tunnel is straight and now has some lighting. Bit squidgy for 100m at its north end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom