Bull handlebars or traditional Drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheBobidentity

My speed is deceptive I'm slower than I look
Hi I joined a wee while ago and have been very quiet since.
I got my first road bike a Triban 3 its great but Ive fallen for the fixed gear Single speed style of bike.

I sourced an old 1970's Peugeot PX10 or something very simillar, and its being converted to a single speed, i'm in a quandry I had my heart set on the Bull handlebars style;
but having seen photos of the traditional handlebars I'm not sure what to do any advice on riding positions etc would be most welcome..

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
bull horns or drops good question ?

depends on what you call bull horns ?

do you know anybody who has a set of bullhorns you can try before buying and fitting and then find you dont like them after all

OP
OP
TheBobidentity

TheBobidentity

unfortunately I dont know anyone with a set of bullhorns.
they would be drop and chop style I'm told.
but thanks for the advice

OP
OP
TheBobidentity

TheBobidentity

thanks for the post smokeysmoo any thoughts are useful
what sort of merits would the bulls have over the drops and vice versa
I'm not being v helpful asking continous hypothetical questions myself

I have traditional drops on my geared roadbike. I like them.

When I put together a Fixie some years ago, I hacksawed and inverted the drops to make a rudimentary set of bullhorns.

I like both types of bar, but I think I prefer drops and I slightly (slightly) regret chopping down the lovely set I had on my fixie.

Both are fine and both offer a good variety of hand and body positions.

I made cut-offs for the fixie for purely aesthetic and 'fashion' reasons. As I am almost fifty, that is an absurd admission.

I dislike (aesthetically) the off-the-shelf bullhorns one sees on some bikes. I think fixies should be built with a hacksaw and a rubber mallet and not have any fancy adornments. I cannot defend that opinion, but it is so.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i rode a single speeder on chopped and turned drops and found them great transferred them to a n other bike and cant get comfy at all .

must admit i have kept them so i can try them on another bike but just not yet .

will you be using with aero brake levers or time trial type levers ?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I like the ones on my fixie for commuting, and on the drops at weekends.
RIMG0082.jpg

Lee_M

Guru
I like the ones on my fixie for commuting, and on the drops at weekends.
RIMG0082.jpg

if you commute on that I hope you have a lot of muc-off!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Bull horns are nice. But they are a compromise, you will want them somewhere between the hood and drop position IME, I quite like pursuit bars because they tend to have a small amount of drop from the clamp area to the bullhorn area. If you spend all of your time on the hoods then bullhorns will suit well, but if you split your time between the hoods and drops they can be a bit limiting.

OP
OP
TheBobidentity

TheBobidentity

i rode a single speeder on chopped and turned drops and found them great transferred them to a n other bike and cant get comfy at all .

must admit i have kept them so i can try them on another bike but just not yet .

will you be using with aero brake levers or time trial type levers ?[/quot
I will be using them with aero brake levers I think.

OP
OP
TheBobidentity

TheBobidentity

I have traditional drops on my geared roadbike. I like them.

When I put together a Fixie some years ago, I hacksawed and inverted the drops to make a rudimentary set of bullhorns.

I like both types of bar, but I think I prefer drops and I slightly (slightly) regret chopping down the lovely set I had on my fixie.

Both are fine and both offer a good variety of hand and body positions.

I made cut-offs for the fixie for purely aesthetic and 'fashion' reasons. As I am almost fifty, that is an absurd admission.

I dislike (aesthetically) the off-the-shelf bullhorns one sees on some bikes. I think fixies should be built with a hacksaw and a rubber mallet and not have any fancy adornments. I cannot defend that opinion, but it is so.

I agree with the notion of building them with a hacksaw and a mallet, i think I'm going to g odropped if my builder hasnt done the drop and chop already. Either way I cant wait to get the bike but now want the drops I can always change my mind, thanks for the post

D

Deleted member 1258

I have Bull horns on my fixed, Pearson call them Courier Bars, Personally I prefer them to drops, I've got short arms and they suit me better than drops, I've done rides up to 70-80 miles on them and they have been very comfortable.

Top Bottom