Bulls and Bridleways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Went out for a run on the mtb last night on some local bridleways. Crossing a field I had to squeeze past a heard of cows, which moved a bit as I approached. As there was no other way out of the field I thought I will calmly go by although it was crowded. However as I got to the point of no return a very large bull appeared probably 6' at his shoulder. I managed to get to the gate and lock it, but was a touch freaked. A cursory search on the Internet tells me certain bulls with cows should not be kept in fields with a right of way across. Two questions, can anyone Id the type of cattle from the pic below? I thought they were friesians there is a lot of dairy farming in Cheshire but there are some brown and blacks there. The bull is the massive black one. Also is it worth reporting to the local rural plod? I would hate a family walking with a dog to spook them and have a serious problem, the field had a mains voltage electric fence around it so no additional easy routes to bail if anything went wrong.

D

Deleted member 23692

Bulls of recognised dairy breeds (eg Ayrshire, Friesian, Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) in all circumstances are banned from being at large in fields crossed by public rights of way. Bulls of all other breeds (beef) are also banned from such fields unless accompanied by cows or heifers, but there are no specific prohibitions on other cattle. That's as per S59 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. BTW “Fields” in this legislation do not include areas such as open fell or moorland.

That looks looks an Angus from the piccy so it's OK for him to be there, as long as he's with ladies.

Personally I'm more cautious of cows with calves, than bulls

boydj

Legendary Member
Unless you are familiar with cattle breeds, I'd stay well away from a field with a bull in it.

A little sidetrack : Many years ago I visited the Scottish Milk Marketing Board's breeding centre where champion bulls were kept for the purpose of collecting semen for sale throughout the world. I had the privilege of watching the collection process. This involved having a small Hereford bull in a wooden stall/ramp affair with a donor bull being led in to 'perform', since a bull would try to mount anything that stood still long enough, and a man with a large 'test tube' to do the collection. The bull ejaculates immediately on successful insertion (so he thinks). Anyway, the bull that's to perform is led in remotely by a rope through its nose ring which is looped round various posts to get it to the stall and allow the handlers to stay well away behind a fence, since the bulls can be very aggressive, which could be seen even walking past their pens, where one bull actually charged at us as we walked past its pen. That was a very educational day.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd be aggressive if I suffered premature ejaculation and some idiot tried to interfere with my opportunity for a moment of enjoyment.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Will be 3000 volts at 120 milliamps so shocking but harmless.

Why the hostility towards farmers? Farmers I've known have always been concerned for the safety and welfare of animals and humans and would never put a dangerous bull in a field with a FP or BW.

The question of bulls in fields does seem to bring out hostility in walkers and cyclists. Just like the present issue between villagers and passing cyclists.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

No hostility from me to farmers, my uncle was a farmer, but having crossed many fields on bridkeways you rarely see bulls in fields that the public have ROW over. A sign at the gates saying bull in field would have been fine. Farming Weekly recommends signage as best practice and there wasn't in this instance. I found myself surrounded by cows and a substantial bull. Whilst the chances are nothing will happen they are large animals and have on occasion attacked walkers and cyclists. My concern was as mentioned more if a family with a dog entered the field.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why the hostility towards farmers? Farmers I've known have always been concerned for the safety and welfare of animals and humans and would never put a dangerous bull in a field with a FP or BW.
Because just like in all other walks of life there are some arrogant people who believe they have the right to do what they want & will do things which they knowingly aren't acceptable,

ZIZAG

Veteran
As the old jokes goes, you don't have to outrun the bull, you just need to outrun your companion. :laugh:
Went out for a run on the mtb last night on some local bridleways. Crossing a field I had to squeeze past a heard of cows, which moved a bit as I approached. As there was no other way out of the field I thought I will calmly go by although it was crowded. However as I got to the point of no return a very large bull appeared probably 6' at his shoulder. I managed to get to the gate and lock it, but was a touch freaked. A cursory search on the Internet tells me certain bulls with cows should not be kept in fields with a right of way across. Two questions, can anyone Id the type of cattle from the pic below? I thought they were friesians there is a lot of dairy farming in Cheshire but there are some brown and blacks there. The bull is the massive black one. Also is it worth reporting to the local rural plod? I would hate a family walking with a dog to spook them and have a serious problem, the field had a mains voltage electric fence around it so no additional easy routes to bail if anything went wrong. View attachment 519868
Hi Hacienda, where was the field in Cheshire you had your encounter with the herd of cows.
As I do lots of walks all around Cheshire .
And will go out of my way to avoid them .
As I have had lots of problems with them In the past . Once on the North Cheshire Way , I got surrounded by a whole herd
I just got round them all by walking quitely around the perimeter of the field .
As I got near the exit stile, three big ones were stood in a pool of morass .
It was squeaky bum time :blush::wacko:
It was very scarey , I Just managed to squirm over the stile .

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Hi Hacienda, where was the field in Cheshire you had your encounter with the herd of cows.
As I do lots of walks all around Cheshire .
And will go out of my way to avoid them .
As I have had lots of problems with them In the past . Once on the North Cheshire Way , I got surrounded by a whole herd
I just got round them all by walking quitely around the perimeter of the field .
As I got near the exit stile, three big ones were stood in a pool of morass .
It was squeaky bum time :blush::wacko:
It was very scarey , I Just managed to squirm over the stile .
You will probably know it. If you go in between the Roebuck and the Bulls Head in Mobberley (Damson Lane iirc) you come to a bridleway which gets less well defined going across a field and brings you out past a farm on to Pedlkey House Lane a few hundred yards past the Frozen Mop.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Easy way to tell: If the bull charges you, it's the sort that shouldn't be in a field with a ROW across it.

We had a scary experience with a herd of cows while on a public footpath in Northumberland. Haven't ventured into a field with cattle in since.

Top Bottom