Bulls and Bridleways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ZIZAG

Veteran
You will probably know it. If you go in between the Roebuck and the Bulls Head in Mobberley (Damson Lane iirc) you come to a bridleway which gets less well defined going across a field and brings you out past a farm on to Pedlkey House Lane a few hundred yards past the Frozen Mop.
You will probably know it. If you go in between the Roebuck and the Bulls Head in Mobberley (Damson Lane iirc) you come to a bridleway which gets less well defined going across a field and brings you out past a farm on to Pedlkey House Lane a few hundred yards past the Frozen Mop.
Thanks for the heads up Hacienda.
I know where you mean.
Damson lane leads to Dam lane and across to the Frozen mop pub .
I will avoid it , If I ever walk that way .
In saying that all the lanes around Mobberley are great for cycling.
As :okay: we are very fortunate here in Cheshire .

rualexander

Legendary Member
Reminds me of the time I woke up with this big chap virtually standing on my head. I felt something pressing on the tent above my head and reached up and pushed back and it felt pretty solid but I still thought it must be a sheep or something until I got up and opened the tent door for a look.
Decided best to get up and make quick exit from tent and around the tin shed we were pitched next to.

Drago

Legendary Member
No hostility from me to farmers, my uncle was a farmer, but having crossed many fields on bridkeways you rarely see bulls in fields that the public have ROW over. A sign at the gates saying bull in field would have been fine. Farming Weekly recommends signage as best practice and there wasn't in this instance. I found myself surrounded by cows and a substantial bull. Whilst the chances are nothing will happen they are large animals and have on occasion attacked walkers and cyclists. My concern was as mentioned more if a family with a dog entered the field.
More people are trampled to death my cattle than are killed by cyclists.

jaycee

Ey up, the bull is an Aberdeen Angus,usually a pretty docile beef breed, ( he is a big lad tho) the 'cows' are mostly maiden heifers , Ayrshire looking but could be a cross of some sort or Red Holstein, and I can see at least one older barren cow. The heifers could definitely be a bit skittish, especially in the evening but generally harmless enough , a gruff shout is enough to shift em. Hope this helps.

jaycee

PS, looks like the farmer has done a good job with the electric fence, in that nervous passers by only need to 'roll' under it to be relatively safe from the over inquisitive heifers and probably have a safe walk to the next field exit, you only need to wait quietly before they get bored and wander off.

Gixxerman

Guru
I have to deal with all manner of farm animals on my excursions into the Lincolnshire wolds with it being a very rural farming community. Generally, farmers tend to put up warning notices on fields that contain large livestock. The notices that I have seen have warned about bulls saying that they are not dangerous unless you endanger them. They do warn that cows with calves can be a lot more aggressive if they think their calves are being endangered. My dad worked on farms in his younger days and he confirmed this. So in general as most animals, if you don't endanger them they will leave you well alone. So I keep my distance. If I see a herd, I will give them a wide berth and go round them. If that is not possible, then dismount and walk slowly through them and they will move out the way for you. They seem to be ok with someone walking as they are used to that. However, someone moving quickly on a bike is something they do not see often and may regard as a threat and they may become aggressive.
My only incident with cows was my own fault. I had passed some and was looking back to see if they were following instead of looking where I was going. I hit a large hole and out the front door I went into a large patch of nettles. After a minute or so, after checking that I was ok, I started to get up. It was then that I noticed that I was surrounded by cows. They were not at all aggressive, just curious as to what the white thing with wheels was and what it was doing here. I got up and shooed them away and recovered my steed and rode off sheepishly.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's also the additional hazard of cattle thinking you're bringing them food, so they start following you, expecting a feed.

Top Bottom