Bullsh*tters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'll start with people who reckon that 2.5mm shorter cranks will make your bike faster.
maybe not....but does help the knees, also the diameter of the turning circle overall is 5mm less

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1630661773283.png

A joke for the older amongst us

I do remember going to the gym in a MTB teeshirt and getting told by a nutter there that he was. Downhill MTB champion who had a 23 speed bike and was just back from the DH championships in Florida.
Why ?
He's probably in government now.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
maybe not....but does help the knees, also the diameter of the turning circle overall is 5mm less
I'd have thought longer cranks would reduce pressure on your knees as they give more leverage?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'd have thought longer cranks would reduce pressure on your knees as they give more leverage?
no - spinning is better, shorter cracks allow you to spin a smaller diameter easier......thats what i have found.

if you have to ride with a slightly lower saddle than normal, due to injuries ( like me) the longer cranks would mean my legs raising higher at the top of the circle, therefore more leverage required to turn over the crank and causing cramping of the space between the top of the leg and the belly area.....

Sharky

Guru
I suppose I've get to respond to this as I ride with 3 bikes set up for 150mm cranks and my TT bike with 145mm cranks.
I've proven that they don't make you ride faster. Although this might be something to do with my age as well.
What they do is lessen the knee and hip angles and this gives a feeling of a more spritely lively ride. It also has the potential to have a lower position at the front and a flatter back to give a more aero position.

monkers

Veteran
I reduced the cranks on my bike from172.5 to 170. I did it because I got shoe overlap (SPDs) came off and seriously busted up my shoulder and broke three ribs. I changed my tyres to reduce the overlap by another couple of mm, and changed my pedals and shoes to SPD-SLs to reduce it further- and still they make contact.:sad: I'm going to arrange a bike fit to see what else I can do, but I'm currently having to pay for physio.

Bother I forgot to b******t, I'll have to return to this later. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom