Bullsh*tters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I reduced the cranks on my bike from172.5 to 170. I did it because I got shoe overlap (SPDs) came off and seriously busted up my shoulder and broke three ribs. I changed my tyres to reduce the overlap by another couple of mm, and changed my pedals and shoes to SPD-SLs to reduce it further- and still they make contact.:sad: I'm going to arrange a bike fit to see what else I can do, but I'm currently having to pay for physio.

Bother I forgot to b******t, I'll have to return to this later. :rolleyes:
You can't do much about toe overlap as more of the later day bikes are designed to bring the front wheel closer to the downtube for aerodynamic reason. Especially smaller sized frames. Even my medium sized frame I noticed in my last bike. I am now conscious when I stop or go slow and not to the turn the wheel too far.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find bullshysters rely on the other person to have little/no knowledge of the topic at hand. If you know your subject, a good game to play is not to correct them, but gently lead them into a maze with newbie-like questions.

I did that to a guy in a shopping centre once, who was trying to sell me a "cheaper energy deal". When we got into the daily standing, pence per kw/h and day/night charges and economy vs smart meters, he got himself into a bit of a twist. He conceded that he couldn't save me money and walked away.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I reduced the cranks on my bike from172.5 to 170. I did it because I got shoe overlap (SPDs) came off and seriously busted up my shoulder and broke three ribs. I changed my tyres to reduce the overlap by another couple of mm, and changed my pedals and shoes to SPD-SLs to reduce it further- and still they make contact.:sad: I'm going to arrange a bike fit to see what else I can do, but I'm currently having to pay for physio.

Bother I forgot to b******t, I'll have to return to this later. :rolleyes:

Many bike companies use smaller wheels for smaller (usually women's) bikes to overcome toe overlap. If you have 700c wheels, it might be worth considering 650B or 26". You will could even sell the bigger wheels to make the cost of new wheels more palatable.

Milzy

Guru
We have a stupid BSer at work who said he’d gone to prison for threatening to kill a lads dad who was been homophobic to his lesbian daughter.
He told me about a day in prison & the song don’t speak by no doubt had come out. When that song came out I was at school must be 1997ish. He would be in his early 20’s and his daughter would have been 2-3 years old. I asked how she could be a lesbian at 3? Sweat came out of his head & he didn’t know what to say. I believe he went to prison for something very sinister he will never tell anyone about. The Billy BS always trip them selves up with lie after lie.

Slick

Guru
Then there was an absolute legend who told the story of hunting rabbits one winter and he shot 1 on the hill and as it fell the snowball got bigger and bigger and ran over lots of other rabbits. When he got to the bottom of the hill, he pulled out 99 rabbits. He was a class story teller and I was sore laughing at his antics but I had to challenge him on his latest work and I asked, ffs sake Jimmy, why did you just not round it up to 100 rabbits. He replied as quick as a flash in an obviously well rehearsed retort, son I'm no gonny tell you a lie for the sake of one rabbit. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Great guy. :cheers:

stephec

Legendary Member
A place I worked at had a top class BSer, unfortunately he left before I started so I never got to meet him.

He was so legendary though that someone had written a list of all his nonsense, ranging from the mildly amusing to the outright crap -

I was watching a plane coming into land at Manchester Airport last night but the police helicopter was hovering there, so the plane flashed at him to get out of the way.

I was going to get a job in Tenerife as a DJ, but I bought my Vitara instead.

I can knock a six inch nail through a piece of 4 x 2 in one go.

I can't wear cycling shorts because my knob's too big.

😂😂😂

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
On of my brother's school mates used to tell some yarns... the one he told us about camping in a storm was wonderful; sleeping bag fashioned into a canoe when a stream began flowing right through the tent, and having to stitch said tent back together with a stick and everyone's shoelaces. Nigel could have become a great writer with his imagination, but apparently he got sent down for fraud.

A guy I worked with on a fairground claimed his parents and sibling(s) had perished in the Bradford stadium fire a few years previously. Clearly he didn't bother remembering this sick bit of bullshit, because a few weeks later he was going back home to visit his parents for a few days :wacko:

Then there was Phil, the sort-lived fiancé of one of my friends...claimed to have black belts in several different martial arts, claimed to be a fully qualified hot air balloon pilot and claimed he'd worked as a sound and lighting technician for 14 years... he must have pulled the 14 years out of thin air without considering his own age, because i was thinking What? Since you were eleven!!

The best one I ever heard, over 40 years ago, and still makes me laugh to this day, was the guy cycling home from work across a park, during a thunderstorm.
Obviously, he got struck by lightning, which melted the braze in the bike frame, causing it to collapse. Leaving him with a neat pile of reynolds tubing on the ground 🤣🤣🤣
This guys tales were absolutely legendary, and have become his legacy. Never any boasting or malice in them, fondly remembered by all who knew him, but boy, could he spin a yarn!

When I worked in a Social Enterprise that ran a theatre, we used to repeatedly get clients in the team who claimed to be a "DJ'" We aren't sure why. Possibly because many of our clients were generally unskilled but didn't want to admit it, and they thought DJ'ing was far enough removed from theatre that we'd not rumble them.
Unfortunately for these tellers of tales, one of the staff was a semi professional DJ...

Drago

Legendary Member
When I was a young bobby there was a lad on the team a few years older than me, and he was reckoned to be a terrible bullpoiser of the first water. He was always talking about aikido, ju jitso, and all sorts of jap slapping and reckon he was a 98th dan at deadly stares. All the crap. i'd always got on ok with him, but even I reckoned the tales smelled a bit.

Anyhoo, off duty one saturday evening at a party with a few fellow bobbies and this lad had turned up. An hour or so in and a fight started and someone swung and Billy Bullsheeter, who responded by going full-on Steven Seagal and dismantling about half a rugby teams worth of big lads without breaking a sweat - proper full-on jap slapping worthy of Jackie Chan on speed. I still recall standing there with my jaw just hanging open!

Top Bottom