Bum cream

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Your call.

Personally, I've never worn anything under bibs. I would imagine it's majorly uncomfortable and would really cause sweaty rash type problems.

I don't think I know anyone that does either... not that I check, obviously!

MessenJah

Rider
If you're wearing boxers under bib shorts then I think you missed the point

e-rider

crappy member
Never suffered from the chaffing, but a little saddle soreness now and then. It does beg the question however, should you go 'commando' or not?

Any suggestions?

that's not really a serious question is it?

I always wear my cotton boxers under my bibs. I used to wear my boxers under my speedos at the local pool too until a really fit woman in a bikini said that I looked stupid!

ventoux50

Even though your saddle is a good make it might not 'fit' your butt - try a few different ones, sometimes a good local bike shop might have a selection of saddles to try before you buy.

As for wearing bibshorts - have they got a decent seat pad inside them ? If they're an old pair then the pad can crinkle and lose its suppleness.

DON'T wear underpants !!! the seam of underpants sits exactly where you say your discomfort lies.

Before setting off on a ride liberally smear some good chamois cream (again from a good bike shop) on the 'perineum' (the area betwixt butt hole and scrotal sac !)
I personally recommend Assos cream - it contains some really nice soothing ingredients and is antibacterial as well.

One last thing - check (with a mirror if necessary :ohmy: ) that you've no ingrowing hair or boil/abscess in the relevant area - if you have then you'll have to get the wife to lance it and suck out the poison ! :wub: :blush: :hugs:

zacklaws

Guru
Another thing to consider which I only came across very recently, is it the way you ride? I have a Fizik Arione and find it very comfortable, last month I did just under a 1000 miles on it, 7 of the rides where over a 100+ miles and I never had a twinge from my backside. The week before an event I took it easy and did a 70+ and a 40+ ride, trying to keep a very low heart rate and not be too tired for the event, but on both these rides, my backside was killing me after only about 30 miles, I just prayed to get home it was that bad. The difference between the rides was on the long ones, I was pushing hard and constantly changing position and standing to cycle, on the easy ride's, I just sat there and spun and hardly moved at all on the saddle, so perhaps moving about on the saddle a lot may be instrumental to having a good ride, perhaps it helps the circulation constantly sliding about and standing up.

Jaguar

I get really bad "nappy rash" in the summer after long rides. I use Vaseline pre-ride, and Sudocreme for any soreness afterwards. Nivea after-shave soothing balm is good too

Danny

Legendary Member
Sore, as in painfull or bruising :wub:

In which case you might want to try a different saddle, perhaps one with a cut out or indent in the area where your perineum has contact with the saddle.

You will find numerous saddle threads in Bikes, Accessories, Kits & Clothing.

jimheaney57

I use Bodyglide which I've been using on sensitive parts (nipples & mens bits) for years. It works treat and doesn't stain the gear.

kyuss

Veteran
I'm a fan of Sudocreme too, and still use it often as it's fairly cheap, readily available and better than nothing. But I much prefer Udderly Smooth (the stuff Fran143 linked to) whenever I remember to order it. It's not that much more expensive and it works much better IMO. I like it mostly because not only does it stop chaffing but it's absorbed by the skin rather than sitting on top of it like Sudocreme and isn't greasy so it makes much less of a mess of my shorts.

normgow

Guru
I don't know if it still available but when I was trying to be racer, about a hundred years ago, I used "Nupercainal Ointment" from any chemist which is (or was) analgesic and antipruritic. Its main uses were for treating haemorroids and premature ejaculation but was also fine for eliminating saddle-soreness.
In those days short inserts were made of chamois leather which after repeated washing became quite stiff so probably any geasy substance would have worked as well but the small amount of novocaine must have contributed to a feeling of no pain.

Top Bottom