Bum protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I did 650km last weekend - two very full days in the saddle - without chamois cream. A shower and change of shorts after 350km saw me right.

But it sounds like you are an experienced hand with an arxe like tanned leather. Unlike the op. ^_^

Have you ever used chamois cream?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I actually use a barrier cream with an anti bacterial agent. It comes in a tube which is easy to carry and it works.

You may not need anything. but if you are sore after the first day and have not packed anything. You may have to go searching in the middle of a tour.

Bodhbh

Guru
Baggy shorts to allow max air circulation, no padding no creams or lotions, fresh underwear(Marks & Spencer y front type, never boxers) every day

Another shoutout for Marks and Sparks duds and baggies.

Secondly, sitting in the saddle is something you must get used to over time and distance. It is not something you can smear on or pull on.

^^^ This, the only time I've been bothered by arse-ache on tour it's cos I wasn't spending much time on the bike on the run up. After a couple of weeks, it went completely.

On the hygiene issue - and I hate to sound like a mucky pup - is it really a big deal? I few years ago in Germany I had back-to-back failures in finding an open campsite for the night. I ended up going 3-4 days without a shower or change of clothes in 30-35C. I stank strongly of ammonia among other things, but it didn't cause any problems downstairs. Not that I'm recommending it - normally I have a shower and change every evening, but sometimes with wild camping it gets missed.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I rode a 1000miles in bibs, no cream, no boxers.

However it was a supported ride and each night I could change into anything I had brought. If self supported I might be keen to wear gear that I can wear off the bike as well as on. To save weight on luggage and allow freedom for stops along the way.

So probably padded boxers with shorts and a loose cycle specific shirt /jersey (maybe a MTB style, so that it's cut for riding but not too tight for sitting in a pub for dinner)

Polaris do some tour specific clothing but don't have a huge range.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
But it sounds like you are an experienced hand with an arxe like tanned leather. Unlike the op. ^_^

I'll have you know my arse is positively peach-like!

Have you ever used chamois cream?

Yes, as mentioned earlier, I find it quite unpleasant. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but since I don't need it anyway, it's a moot point.

The only time I've had problems on a long ride is when I was obliged to use a bike with a saddle I wasn't used to (wrong shape for my bum) and new shorts with padding that didn't agree with me. A perfect storm for creation of saddle sores. Chamois cream wouldn't have helped in that situation. A well-fitted bike and clothes are easily the most important factors in comfort on long rides.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The idea of the shorts, apart from the pad, is for you to have a crease free, flat surface underneath you.
Aren't most pads sculpted these days? Those have got farking lines marked in them, the edges of which are ready-made crease points ideal for irritating your skin. Then there's the seams around the edge of the pad, which they laughingly call "flat" but may as well be a saw-blade if your skin is as easily irritated as mine!

After a full day in the saddle, you may see the need for chamois cream if you are wearing padded shorts.
FTFY :laugh:

And, for implying that the other commenters have never ridden a full day in the saddle, I suggest you go fornicate yourself with the bike you rode in on! :smile:

OP
OP
A

ActiveCampers

Thanks for the opinions :smile:

We're quite light people, and not completely inexperienced - cycled to the med before and doing it again this year, self supported with tent. We are more the MTB clothes, bike casual rather than full lycra clad. We always have a shower after a ride.

Up until yesterday I've not had a sore bum - but yesterday it was - but that was a combo of new Altura padded shorts and differernt boxers (non silky) as the silky ones are in the "to pack" file. I can't get on with loose boxers - everything hangs too low ;) Needs to be fitted. yesterdays choice of boxers was poor :sad:

Some of the posts above are useful - and it could've been the shaped padding "pinching" (as well as duff choice of boxers). I'll compare with the Boardman padded MTB shorts I usually wear (and can wear casual post ride), so thanks for the suggestion.

And thus, cream is like marmite :smile:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
"Chamois cream" is a legacy name from back in the day. I tend to use cream (antifrottage) on rides of 1000k or more, or on long TTs (12, 24) where you're pushing hard all the time.
If you can shower every day then you can wash shorts at the same time. What doesn't dry overnight goes on the back of the bike to dry the following day.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It seems there are plenty of good chamois creams out there these days. I used it once when I really had to, and it did work ... though felt a bit pervy. Can't quite summon up the courage to be seen buying "Bottom Butter" or "Junk Jam", though. Random thought of the day .... Is there such a thing as "I Can't Believe It's Not Bottom Butter" ?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Briefs under padded shorts plus chamois cream. I know you are supposed to go commando but it doesn't work for me.
Same here, I tried sans underwear but got more chafing not less. So I use seam-free underwear and it works well enough: I've used this setup on very long rides.

Top Bottom