burning avi files to dvd format

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I bought a cheap digital camcorder but it its only saves files as avi format.

I found a converter but it does a screen splash before each video file, i converted to mpeg2 which i believe is dvd format ??
Burned it to a dvd+ r disc which the dvd player doesnt recognize?

I bought a cheap digital camcorder but it its only saves files as avi format.

I found a converter but it does a screen splash before each video file, i converted to mpeg2 which i believe is dvd format ??
Burned it to a dvd+ r disc which the dvd player doesnt recognize?
Mpeg2 is not a dvd video format. It is a computer format that your DVD player may or may not read. It is on a dvd +r which your DVD player may or may not read.

Get freemaker video which converts everything. Then read the spec of your DVD player of what it plays and doesn't.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Whilst DVD uses Mpeg2 it doesn't read mpeg files, the data needs to be present as a multiplexed transport stream that the player can read on the fly without needing the whole video to verify or checksum. You'll need specific DVD video burning software to do this however...

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Unless you have a reason to use dvd's for playback rather than simply storage it might be simpler to plug the camcorder 'out' to the tv 'in', or use a laptop or pc to play the avi's?

I also use handbrake if I really need to convert formats.

midlife

Guru
I was going to mention handbrake too, I'm pretty hopeless with computer stuff and even I managed to make a DVD that played :smile:

Shaun

keithmac

Guru
I found DVD -r the most compatible between players.

Nero Vision will do what you need without virus's or spyware but you'll have to buy it. It will help you create menus for multi video DVD's

You actually "author" the DVD, they are quite complex!.

I'm surprised later versons of Windows can't do it thought Media Player.

The DVD does use mpeg-2 standard but it uses it as VOBs (video objects).

Top Bottom