Bury: just had words with a RLJer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Junction of the A56 Bury-Manchester road and the Hollins/Pilsworth link at Hollins brow at about 1.05. Bloke stops then cycles through the red light heading south. I pip my horn at him (I'm driving the blue Passat estate if it was you) then when the lights change he's obviously expecting me because he stops and gets off to wait.

My message was: "Don't do that! I'm a cyclist and people like you get the rest of us a bad name. You need to carry a donor card if you carry on like that".

His reply was "Keep moving, idiot".

Who's the idiot?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah just run him over next time. RLJs shouldn't expect protection from the rest of the law if they are willing to just blatantly break part of the law that applies to them.

;)

Jezston

Über Member
At least he might think about it next time.

If he just doesn't give a shoot then he's just a dick and there is nothing anyone can say or do to convince him otherwise.

515mm

Ooooo. That is a pet hate of mine.

Chap in front of me this morning rolls over the line into the very middle of the junction and then stops.

Eh? WTF?

Ummm, mate, if someone wants to drive their car over the junction, they're going to have to drive over you to do it.

I took great pleasure in sailing past him after the lights turned green and he was stuck in too high a gear to climb the hill. With a cheerful '' 'Morning Arse.''

potsy

Rambler
I'd imagine embarassment at being told off would make him react like he did,but he might think about it next time now,or at least have a quick lookout for blue Passats next time;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
"Keep moving, idiot".

Me likes. It was a rather laid-back 'get over it you sanctimonious twerp' type of response.

Could have been worse GTi. He could have uttered some nasties at you.

MartinC

Über Member
I don't like RLJ'ers for the simple reason that if we (anybody on the road) need others to follow the rules of the Highway Code then we should follow them ourselves. It begs the question then, of why the OP felt entitled to break those rules and sound their horn inappropriately just to voice their disapproval of another road user. If the OP feels that they can disregard the HC when it suits them why do they object to the RLJ'er doing the same?

MartinC said:
I don't like RLJ'ers for the simple reason that if we (anybody on the road) need others to follow the rules of the Highway Code then we should follow them ourselves. It begs the question then, of why the OP felt entitled to break those rules and sound their horn inappropriately just to voice their disapproval of another road user. If the OP feels that they can disregard the HC when it suits them why do they object to the RLJ'er doing the same?

:biggrin: "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to The Moral Maze" ... good point.

MartinC said:

Im sure that when motorists see good behaviour on the roads from said cyclist and this includes good behaviour towards pedestrians as well as following the rules of the road that they drive a bit better towards (me).

Ok doesn't always work but I like to believe it does.

Top Bottom