Bus driver jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I'm assuming s18 as it seems the best fit, he deliberately drove the bus at the cyclist intending to hit him. If it had been unintentional the charge would just be one of Dangerous Driving. I'm thinking first offence for the sentence.

spen666

Legendary Member
I'm assuming s18 as it seems the best fit, he deliberately drove the bus at the cyclist intending to hit him. If it had been unintentional the charge would just be one of Dangerous Driving.
not sure I agree with your logic.

the difference between s18 and s20 assault is down to intent - the injuries are the same. I would have pursued a s18, but I suspect it may be a s20 as judge says he does not accept the incident was not deliberate. Defence wouldn't be able to suggest that in mitigation if it was a s18

I am a little surprised there were 2 charges as their appears to be just one action. The court could have imposed same prison sentence and ban for the assault charge alone

spen666

Legendary Member
Aiden, where is the attempt to kill cyclist?

There is no evidence of an attempt to kill. If the prosecution had run that charge, bus driver would have been acquitted

Section 18 would be the right charge. It's not attempted murder because if he had been seeking the death of the cyclist he could have followed it up and acheived it.

I can see how a defence lawyer could argue it down to Section 20 with a pathetic but hard to argue 'moment of madness' defence, saying 'he didn't even think, there was no true intent to injure this severely, he just lashed out, he's devastated at the consequences' etc etc.

Regardless, 17 months is lenient considering how long he will actually serve... but our justice system has developed to the point of under sentencing for everything IMHO.

subaqua

What’s the point
only one cyclist cared enough to go over to the guy too. was good to see other road users attending to him too. Did the driver get a ban too. whats the bets if he did ,it runs at the same time he is in Prison and therefore a useless punishment.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Interesting. I hate to be "anti" the cyclist involved, but the clip appear to show him riding in the middle of the lane (nothing wrong with that unless it was to deliberately slow the bus down and antagonise the driver). The cyclist then moves more towards the centre of the road as the bus indicates to change lanes and pass him.
This shows how much of a bad idea it is to confront drivers and try to prove a point. BTW something I have done many times and will probably continue to do so when the adrenaline kicks in. :angry:

Top Bottom