Bus driver jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aiden_23

Aiden, where is the attempt to kill cyclist?

There is no evidence of an attempt to kill. If the prosecution had run that charge, bus driver would have been acquitted
Sorry Ill rephrase that, the fact that the driver drove a 10 tonne vehicle into the side of a cyclist tells me that he was trying to kill him. Its the same argument that happens when someone smashes a glass into someones neck or stabs them,IMO they are trying to kill someone but it will never enter a court in this manner because of our flawed justice system. The issue wasn't his driving it was his aggresive behaviour which doesnt get picked up in any driving test, so an extended driving test makes no difference.

spen666

Legendary Member
Sorry Ill rephrase that, the fact that the driver drove a 10 tonne vehicle into the side of a cyclist tells me that he was trying to kill him........

That is exactly the evidence that makes an attempted murder charge impossible to prove.

If he had driven straight over cyclist from behind, it MAY have been possible to succeed on an attempted murder charge.

The actions of the driver were to swerve out from behind the cyclist and side swipe him. That is not at all consistent with an attempt to kill someone.

You need to calm down, put your righteous anger to one side and look at the facts. Lynch mob thinking never produces good justice.

Demanding convictions for offence that are not made out only serves to make people take the views of cyclists as being irrelevant as they are ludicrous and out of touch

It was dangerous driving and GBH. What we need to do is campaign for proper sentences for these type of offences, not demand the whole of the English Legal System be changed to meet your knee jerk reaction to an horrific crime.

Aiden_23

That is exactly the evidence that makes an attempted murder charge impossible to prove.

If he had driven straight over cyclist from behind, it MAY have been possible to succeed on an attempted murder charge.

The actions of the driver were to swerve out from behind the cyclist and side swipe him. That is not at all consistent with an attempt to kill someone.

You need to calm down, put your righteous anger to one side and look at the facts. Lynch mob thinking never produces good justice.

Demanding convictions for offence that are not made out only serves to make people take the views of cyclists as being irrelevant as they are ludicrous and out of touch

It was dangerous driving and GBH. What we need to do is campaign for proper sentences for these type of offences, not demand the whole of the English Legal System be changed to meet your knee jerk reaction to an horrific crime.

Whats the difference between smashing into him from behind and swerving into him? I didn't demand a conviction for anything "IMO" the driver was intent on his actions, this was no accident. If the cyclist fell the other way then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all as he would have been under the wheels. The injuries to victims seem to dictate the offence this is wrong. I will post no further replies as I am on this forum for advice not to discuss the rights and wrongs of the Legal system. However I am definetly with you that we need to campaign for proper sentences as this is the perfect case,attempted murder too much, probably, GBH not enough, definetly.

I would appreciate it if you would cease to make assumptions about me as you dont know me thank you.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The injuries to victims seem to dictate the offence this is wrong.

Is it wrong? Are you saying that a person commits a knife attack but only manages to inflict a flesh wound should get the same charge brought as another person who opens up an artery and kills someone?

col

Legendary Member
Some people use guns or knives, this guy just happened to have a seven tonne cosh handy. Should have been life. I didnt expect what I saw on the vid, horrifying to think how lucky the cyclist was to not have been killed there.

dawesome

The way things are going it won't be long before train drivers start aiming at cyclists.

Whats the difference between smashing into him from behind and swerving into him? I didn't demand a conviction for anything "IMO" the driver was intent on his actions, this was no accident. If the cyclist fell the other way then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all as he would have been under the wheels. The injuries to victims seem to dictate the offence this is wrong. I will post no further replies as I am on this forum for advice not to discuss the rights and wrongs of the Legal system. However I am definetly with you that we need to campaign for proper sentences as this is the perfect case,attempted murder too much, probably, GBH not enough, definetly.

I would appreciate it if you would cease to make assumptions about me as you dont know me thank you.

It's quite simple. If the driver had been intending to kill the cyclist, he would have been able to do so after knocking him to the floor by driving at/over him again. He didn't, so Section 18 wounding is more appropriate than attempt murder.

If it makes you feel any better, despite this, if the cyclist had died, murder WOULD have been appropriate, as if you intend to wound someone but they die, this is murder.

How many goes does one have before it's regarded as attempted murder? SFAIK, one knife thrust qualifies. one instance of backing a taxi to trap a police officer against a wall.....The CPS could still charge GBH as a fall-back: that doesn't pre-empt a more serious charge.

pshore

That's the second thread today where this sort of behaviour has been defended with the "moment of madness" excuse.

Somebody needs to stamp on that pathetic argument. If they are prone to a moment of madness that is dangerous to others then lets treat it like a medical condition, like say epilepsy.

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/driving/stopping-driving

Single seizure with no specific cause

If you hold a category A, B, B+E, F, G, H, L or P licence you will need to stop driving for a minimum of six months from the date of the seizure. If you are also qualified to drive vehicles in categories C, C1, D, or D1 [includes BUS] you will need to stop driving for a minimum of five years from the date of the seizure.

Rant rant.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I had heard of the incident - even so seeing the footage of it was shocking!

As for why the other cyclists didn't react - the junction they are coming out of doesn't have a very clear view that direction and is angled facing the other way (away from St James Barton roundabout). I suspect most of the later ones didn't even have a chance to see the cyclist.

Top Bottom