Bus driver jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Ultimately, the bigger the vehicle, the greater degree of care needs to be exercised by the driver. It is a shocking example, and if ithad happened 10 years ago, I doubt would have resulted in a jail sentence due tolack of video evidence.

I think the bus drivers sentence should be longer. I wouldn't consider it attempted murder from the vid, but at the very least GBH and should have had a sentence to match.

Mad at urage

Just rewatched this video and it does seem the cyclist swurves into the bus forcing the bus drive over more into oncoming traffic. No excuse for this but this man should be locked up for attempted murder.

Just looked on the Sky (scum) website and its full of Clarkson wonnabes.
No oncoming traffic, cyclist is where he should be in the middle of his lane. bus swerves out and the cab is alongside very close - cyclist probably glances to the right which causes him to wobble that way - quite understandably! The bus is then swung in so sharply that its rear end has never left the LH lane. No fault in the cyclists whatsoever.

I do understand the need to look for 'something the cyclist has done wrong' even (or especially) in a cycling forum - after all, we are looking for a way we could avoid the same fate; but condemnation for riding in primary and for flinching (remember that if your right hand pushes the bars sharply forward, you will go right) as the bus pulls alongside, is uncalled for.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Another thing to consider (maybe obvious)...a bus driver would never consider purposely ramming a car even if he was put out by there erratic driving.

As for the cyclest swerving infront of the bus.. I dont know but maybe he was planing on changing lanes to turn right (should have indicated, but maybe the bus should not have been so close to him too)?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1727249, member: 45"]On some sites you can see the cyclist's bike propped up against the front of the bus at the previous lights, and the cyclist tugging on the bus's wiper. The text to me makes it sound that this was a reaction to a previous incident, when in fact it was a continuation of the same conflict.

It does look from the clip as if the cyclist could have been being provocative by riding slowly and taking the whole lane, but you can also see the bus deliberately tailgating.

Regardless of the above, the driver was inexcusable and should have his license permanently removed. If this was an "uncontrollable" act of temper then he'll lose it again on the road some day.[/quote]
One of the articles did mention two previous incidences on that road between the bus driver and the cyclist. The first being the bus overtaking too close and the second being the cyclist remonstrating with the driver.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Exactly, very worrying to think one has to share the roads with ignorant road users like that. Governments have failed to educate people that cyclists have the same rights on the road as that "bus driver". Lots of people are convinced that cyclists have limited rights on the road unless the road has a cycling lane.

I have seen very few really bad cyclists on the road and those should be stopped. Maybe there is a need for a number plate or any form of identifying a cyclist that goes round riding like lunatic and giving all cyclists a bad name. I think that is very important for us to continue demanding cyclists rights on the road be respected.

There are number-plates on all vehicles, and when one of them drives around like a lunatic no-one starts ranting about all drivers being the same. Neither does having a number-plate stop drivers breaking the law, yet people want plates on bikes as they think this will stop law-breaking cyclists.

What we need is proper enforcement of the law for every road user, regardless of their choice of transport. We already have the means to deal with those who transgress, and we still can't do so. Adding plates to bikes isn't going to make any difference.

machew

Veteran
Why epilepsy? Easy target or the first thing that sprang to mind for getting an automatic ban?
There are plenty of other things that could be used to get the driver to hand the licence back.

I ask as a person who suffers from/with the condition & has done all my life. Going off topic I know but I've done more damage to myself through it than I have to anyone else. Although I did put a qualified first aid instructor in a neck brace when he sat me up, partway through a fit.
In theory I could be clear to start driving at the end of January 2013, providing there are no further fits.

I'll take your first aid instructor in a neck brace and raise you a paramedic with two black eyes and a broken nose, after he tried to look after the T&S when she had a seizure

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There are number-plates on all vehicles, and when one of them drives around like a lunatic no-one starts ranting about all drivers being the same. Neither does having a number-plate stop drivers breaking the law, yet people want plates on bikes as they think this will stop law-breaking cyclists.

What we need is proper enforcement of the law for every road user, regardless of their choice of transport. We already have the means to deal with those who transgress, and we still can't do so. Adding plates to bikes isn't going to make any difference.

Plus, the number of cyclists who pose a real danger to others is tiny, so it's not exactly a priority, if we want to make the roads safer.

tyred

Legendary Member
The comments on the Daily Mail site are interesting.

"Terrible. That said, if you look at the video, the cyclist is cycling towards the outside of the lane. There has been an argument and he is intentionally obstructing the bus. When the bus driver tried to overtake, the cyclist swerved out to obstruct him from overtaking. I've seen this type of behaviour from cyclists myself. There are some cyclists who are arrogant and aggressive. Unfortunately, in this case the cyclist's action provoked the driver to react foolishly, in a moment of madness. I hope the cyclist, Mr.Mead, is happy tonight that he has caused this man to lose his livelihood and get a criminal record not to mention the time in prison. It's a pity the driver didn't call the police. If he had it would be Mead in the dock getting a ticking off for his arrogant behaviour. It's high time all road users were treated fairly. Cyclists should pass a test on the Highway Code and be issued with a license before being allowed on the road and then should pay road tax and have insurance.

- Sleuth, East of Eden, 16/2/2012 22:35"

Mr Mead didn't cause anything. The bus driver brought it on himself.

machew

Veteran
I was driving and got held up by a cyclist who wasn't cycling in the gutter, so I got out and hit him around the head with the jack. The judge said it was assault but you can see why I would get angry? I mean he was trying to hinder me by riding so close to the centre line, unless he was intending to make a right turn, he was provoking me in my opinion.
- Borance, London, 17/2/2012 12:4

lulubel

Über Member
Personally, I think the problem is with the law as it stands.

I have driven buses and coaches, and I know - as does everyone who drives these vehicles - that if you hit an unprotected person, such as a pedestrian or cyclist, with a vehicle weighing several tons, there's a good chance they'll die. So, I think a better law to cover these situations is that deliberately hitting a person with a vehicle over a certain weight should automatically carry an attempted murder charge (assuming they survive). Then the only intent that would need to be proved would be intent to hit them - intent to kill would be assumed once that was established.

Unfortunately, there are too many drivers of large vehicles out there who ... I'm struggling to find the right words here ... don't seem to realise the level of responsibility they have for the safety of other road users (regardless of what vehicle they're using, how idiotic they're being, or how much they're trying to wind you up).

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I think the lesson to be learned here is that it's just not worth getting worked up if someone p155e5 you off when cycling. Just stay calm, maybe get it on video and report it, but other than that it's not worth the agro. I had a taxi driver do a u-turn in front of me a few weeks ago. I overtook him (it was either that or brake hard, and in hindsight I should've braked hard) then he over took me (closely), I caught him at the lights, gave him some agro, he said he'd seen me and that I should've slowed down which wound me up even more. I told him to F off, and he wound his window up, and I was so angry that I actually gave him some racial abuse (I'm ashamed to say.) Yes he was a complete t055er, but I was so wound up I just wanted to p155 him off in return. It could have easily ended up in fisticuffs, or worse.

I wish I'd had a camera (I have now, this incident swung me) 'cos I would've reported him.

Lesson learned. No more confrontations in future. It just isn't worth getting sucked in.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The comments sections are clearly full of people on a wind up or, shock horror, DM employees making sure folks are properly riled up.

But I'm surprised on this, and other forums, how many people comment in a way that indicates they have either misinterperated the article/video or not really read/watched them properly.

Earlier incident, cyclist catches bus at bus stop and leans bike on front of bus while remonstrating with driver. Cyclist then heads off, no doubt with some form of parting shot, and some claim a twang of the windscreen wipers. Bus is then right behind him and menacing...now we have guesswork(as if the above isn't already full of that):-

was the cyclist moving out to be in the correct position and failed to realise the bus was that close
did the cyclist deliberately swerve out to try and antagonise the bus driver further
was the cyclist swerving and unsteady due to anger
did the cyclist swerve as he did a 'super' shoulder check in disbelief at how close the bus was
did the cyclist know the bus was there and get scared making him swerve

I could probably take some more guesses but none of them lead to the conclusion 'cyclist was asking for it', or 'bus driver was wrong but you can understand his frustration'.

Jeez, we all get wound up, frustrated, angry, etc, etc but it's certainly never crossed my mind that ramming someone, or something for that matter, with my vehicle is a good idea.

Top Bottom