Bus pass discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
There's always the chance that the OAP pass could disappear, nationwide, in the next five years.
With the state of our finances you could argue that it should go in the next 5 weeks. I don’t think the government would do it, but we are in very troubled times.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's my fear. In five years i'll be 65. One year off a bus pass. I think they could disappear,or they'll keep moving the goal posts (raising the qualification age) whenever i get close to that age! :unsure:
If they do disappear, then it'll be the same for everyone.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yes, i did say that and they almost certainly are. But i should also add, that Arriva run many services in other countries far better than here in the UK, Such as Denmark. The question of were any British Nationalised Industries ever as capable? Yes! is the answer... No private company would invest in, pardon the pun, a train wreck. There is money to be made in a deregulated, private system where millions rely on the services. Jacking up the prices, lack of/poorly managed investment and 'record profits' an all too common theme...

Which Nationalised Industry (UK) was successful in the way you describe Arriva?

By the way, I am not disputing Arriva's capabilities, nor am I against Nationalisation, or, State Owned Companies in principle, rather, I am wondering why OUR State owned Companies appear to end up as shambling monoliths. I had the dubious "pleasure" of working in the UK Shipbuilding Industry, during it's descent into oblivion as British Shipbuilders.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Which Nationalised Industry (UK) was successful in the way you describe Arriva?
Nothing. Because it isnt really comparable for a modern company nationalised or not to be compared with our nationalised industries of 30,40,50+ years ago, when the world has change significantly, with globalisation and such. What it does do however is give us an insight into what could have been, if we did things properly and not given up and flogged it all...

stephec

Legendary Member
Could the fact that bus companies are more successful in mainland Europe than in the UK be partly because of the culture of public transport use and it's perceived?

Could the fact that bus companies are more successful in mainland Europe than in the UK be partly because of the culture of public transport use and it's perceived?
bit of serious thread drift here.
I thought it was about provision of public transport to folk in various areas of the country.
Not how much the private transport companies might be able to rake in for their shareholders.

bit of serious thread drift here.
I thought it was about provision of public transport to folk in various areas of the country.
Not how much the private transport companies might be able to rake in for their shareholders.
The two may be linked. Local transport provision here is through the local authority, although the actual provider may be a private company. As a result the C-19 related disruption was minimal and short lived.

This may be connected to a different perception by the general populace that public transport is worth paying for, or it may be that the perception is the same but the decisions are made more locally here, so politicians are more in tune with this thinking.
Other factors could be that people in Germany tend to live in apartments or more compact suburbs so it is easier to provide public transport, and that transport provision is connected to property taxation, so the better the provision, the higher the tax: a tramline, for example, is financed by increased taxation on the properties within a certain distance of the route, and landlords can recoup this, and (to some degree) make more money by increasing rents.

Top Bottom