Bus pass discrimination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just looked it up. In London,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland you can claim a 'free' bus pass when you reach 60. In England(except London) you have to wait till the women's state pension age,which is 66 and due to rise even higher. Can someone explain to me why this blatant discrimination is allowed?!🤔

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I got mine when I was 60, this must be a new thing

Dave7

Legendary Member
Can't explain it.
I assume each council has a budget and must decide where to spend it.
We have bus passes which we can only use after 0930.
My Bro lives on the Wirral and they get free bus, train and Mersey ferry. It means they can.......
Travel all over the wirral
Get the underground train to Liverpool
Or
Bus and Mersey ferry. The ferry will take them to Liverpool, Wallasey or even a cruise to to 'bar'.... where it empties into the Irish Sea.
Fantastic.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What's a bus?

It's based on the 'omnibus' - travel for all - a public transport system originally publicly funded, introduced to link towns, cities and villages together for those who couldn't afford, or chose not, to buy their own internal combustion vehicle. It was a wonderful, inexpensive interconnecting system which integrated with the railways using a carefully regulated pricing structure. Unfortunately [some] politicians realised the benefits and took steps to carve up the system through privatisation and quickly de-regulated the system ensuring it was made as inefficient and expensive as possible to enable it to be broken up and sold for the benefit of a few rich people....

Drago

Legendary Member
It's based on the 'omnibus' - travel for all - a public transport system originally publicly funded, introduced to link towns, cities and villages together for those who couldn't afford, or chose not, to buy their own internal combustion vehicle. It was a wonderful, inexpensive interconnecting system which integrated with the railways using a carefully regulated pricing structure. Unfortunately [some] politicians realised the benefits and took steps to carve up the system through privatisation and quickly de-regulated the system ensuring it was made as inefficient and expensive as possible to enable it to be broken up and sold for the benefit of a few rich people....
Good heavens, what a wonderful invention. It's a shame they appear to be extinct.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Arriva run our buses. They're rubbish, unreliable and no longer run later evenings, Sunday's or Bank Hols. The irony being they are a German Government owned company that run a cheaper, more efficient and reliable service back in the fatherland. Profits from their British ventures undoubtedly used to improve their service. Who is to blame here? Local and Central Government for sure. The French do something similar with the Utility Companies too...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just looked it up. In London,Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland you can claim a 'free' bus pass when you reach 60. In England(except London) you have to wait till the women's state pension age,which is 66 and due to rise even higher. Can someone explain to me why this blatant discrimination is allowed?!🤔
Don’t the Scots pay higher taxes too?
It’s not discrimination, it’s democracy.

Top Bottom