But darling, thats why i need 4 bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Since 1990 I've accumulated 11 bikes (one was destroyed, one stolen) and have a nice well lit warm cellar, Park tools workstand and workbench as well as a multitude of tools. I consider myself really wealthy -no, I haven't got expensive trendy clothes, expensive electronics equipment, don't go on expensive holidays, don't have a nice car (cheapest second hand one I could find for a bargain price no less -paid 1200 quid for a 1995 like-brand-new car out of a timewarp in Texas owned by a little old lady who used to just go to the supermarket and back with 36,000 miles on it, but I digress) or a large house, but I have got my cellar and bikes.

I figure since I don't smoke, don't really drink (a pint every 3-4 weeks maybe at best?) bikes are my one indulgence, and unlike other things you can spend your money on, they aren't bad for you. Here we go:

Cannondale CAAD4 road bike
Cannondale Jekyll full suspension
Vision VR-40 Recumbent
Dawes Sardar tourer
Downtube folding bike
Mongoose Rockadile hard tail w/ front suspension
Matsuri road bike (a freebie from a skip, used for a beater bike)
Rudge 3-speed (a freebie from my brother-in-laws cellar)
Specialized HardRock ht mtb (strangely, the like new frame was found in the back of a car in a scrap yard and bought for $4. I've put all my spare bits and pieces on it)

Honestly, even I realize I have all the nice bikes I could ever want, but I always keep an eye out for bargains (i.e. less than 25 quid) such as a unicycle......or a single speed....or a cruiser.....or a Raleigh Twenty.... or a Raleigh Arena/Record (yeah, nostalgia on that one).....

And yes, I do ride all the bikes, and yes I am materialistic about bikes!

One final point: it's all about perspective isn't it? The amount of money I've spent on bikes over the last 18 years is easily just the depreciation of an expensive car over a couple of years of driving. I've still got the bikes too ;-)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oh my word..... it just sounds so familiar....... even down to the "sacrificial bike" and magic frame movement. Another good one: my friend sold his older model Specialized dual suspension (which was a really nice bike) and bought a new one. His one condition? His new bike had to be just approximately the same colour as his old one. Yep, it worked.

Twenty Inch said:
I'm working on my 6th bike. SWMBO thinks I only have 4.

I have one sacrificial bike that I'll get rid of if she starts complaining. At the moment though, every time I go down to the cellar I move the frames and the wheels around so that she's never QUITE sure just how many bikes are down there : )

Nigeyy said:
Oh my word..... it just sounds so familiar....... even down to the "sacrificial bike" and magic frame movement. Another good one: my friend sold his older model Specialized dual suspension (which was a really nice bike) and bought a new one. His one condition? His new bike had to be just approximately the same colour as his old one. Yep, it worked.

*Makes mental note* :blush:

Top Bottom